Dodge egineers need to be SHOT!!!!!!!

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
So we went to replace the tension-er on a 01 neon to day what a bitch to do!!! So on a neon you have to pretty much jack up the motor after undoing the motor mounts, unbolt the power steering, take off the timing cover ( witch to do this you have got to jack the motor as far up as you can to get to the top bolts then lower it as far down to get to the bottom bolt). So saying all that we went a head and did the timing belt why we were there. Took us 6 hours to do all this. That bs:: angry :: I wish i could gt paid all that money to come up with dumbass ideas.

92ma71

Jun 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Smart move doing the timing belt while you were at it. I would have too. That type of crap is on every vehicle though. But I agree they should be shot lol

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
I don't blame the engineers. It's the company that wanted to go cheap not having to spend on the extra driveshaft, diff, gearbox and have more space on the car, they paid engineers to find a way. IMO

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Whoops sry thank you for putting me in my right place. And ya grim you have a good point guess they should have to work on the stuff they build that would be some good tourtor!!! Lol.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Poodles;1745923 said:
It's FWD, what you expect? Engine is 90 degrees from where it should be to have easy access...

My Acura is front wheel drive with the motor horizontal!!!I pretty much just hate dodge. So stupid the way they did stuff. If I belt tensioner for the a/c and power steering dies you might as well change the timing belt out. All that for a stupid ass bearing. It just reminds me how glad I do work on our cars.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
FWD timing belts are no worse than most modern RWD engined timing belts, only extra steps are usually removing an engine mount and a lower panel for access. It's all about accepting you have to remove some stuff to get to it, and just getting on with the job. I can do FWD Mitsubishi V6 engines in 4 hours easily.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1745923 said:
It's FWD, what you expect? Engine is 90 degrees from where it should be to have easy access...
x3. I can't stand FWD from a "working on it" perspective, talk about cluttered...

JStoked;1746300 said:
And ya grim you have a good point guess they should have to work on the stuff they build that would be some good tourtor!!!
I agree 100%. I think if you design it, you should have to work on a prototype, or their technicians should. If it is too difficult for your average shade tree mechanic, then it should probably be redesigned... oh wait, that would put their technicians out of work. I think that should explain why certain things are the way they are. ;)

Typhoon;1746402 said:
FWD timing belts are no worse than most modern RWD engined timing belts, only extra steps are usually removing an engine mount and a lower panel for access. It's all about accepting you have to remove some stuff to get to it, and just getting on with the job. I can do FWD Mitsubishi V6 engines in 4 hours easily.

How about those V6 Mitsu spark plugs in the rear bank? :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The factory doesn't care, they mount the motor to the subframe and then lower the car over it. It's an increasingly common issue on modern cars.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
jonahs_supra;1746514 said:
try removing a passenger side valve cover on a 6.0l powerstroke in a van
you gotta pull the hole motor or lift the body off the chassis lol

O ya i have had a ford van and yes they are bitch just to put plugs in lol. Not a power stroke tho.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Typhoon;1746402 said:

Are you kidding me!!! RWD are so much easier. Hell i can do a timing chain in far less time. Heck i (well i say i. mean me and my bro) can do a sc400 belt in about 3hours.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Poodles;1746525 said:
The factory doesn't care, they mount the motor to the subframe and then lower the car over it. It's an increasingly common issue on modern cars.

For sure man!!! Thats why i say the engineer should be the ones to have to work on it first

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
the job isnt too hard, just need to know the easiest way to do it.
Im in the middle of a headgasket replacement and big turbo swap in an srt-4. Ya the supra is 10X's easier to do a HG or timing belt but the neon isnt too bad.

Oh and they bolt the motor in the same way at the factory as we do, the motor is bolted to the car, not the subframe.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Think so? Go do a timing belt on a modern RWD car, perhaps something with a 1UZ and get back to me.

JStoked;1746685 said:
Are you kidding me!!! RWD are so much easier. Hell i can do a timing chain in far less time. Heck i (well i say i. mean me and my bro) can do a sc400 belt in about 3hours.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Get em done in 30-45 mins, no problems. Lift plenum, leave in place with everything attached. Whizz out plugs and replace. Slide new manifold gasket in and done.

te72;1746511 said:
How about those V6 Mitsu spark plugs in the rear bank? :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
^Umm... SC400 = 1UZ equipped. ;)

Not bad on those spark plugs... better than #7 and #8 on an LS1 in a 4th gen F-body anyway. Still nowhere near as easy as a Supra with an FFIM though. I think it would take me longer to get the spark plug valley cover off the 1j than it would to actually change the plugs themselves. Hate cars that stick the engine under the firewall/windshield...

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

kotu100;1746968 said:
Oh and they bolt the motor in the same way at the factory as we do, the motor is bolted to the car, not the subframe.

Wait... our engines are bolted to the body directly? I could have sworn it was to the subframe. Gonna have to take a look at that on my way home. Been so long since I pulled a Supra motor I forget. :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
kotu100;1746968 said:
the job isnt too hard, just need to know the easiest way to do it.
Im in the middle of a headgasket replacement and big turbo swap in an srt-4. Ya the supra is 10X's easier to do a HG or timing belt but the neon isnt too bad.

No, they're bolted to the subframe, not the car. I've had to work on those pieces of shit before (specificly the motormounts that kept failing...)

Typhoon;1747018 said:
Think so? Go do a timing belt on a modern RWD car, perhaps something with a 1UZ and get back to me.

Still easier. Now the starter....

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
the only one that bolts to the subframe is the lower pass side mount, all the other bolt to the chassis itself.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1747298 said:
Still easier. Now the starter....

Hey, starters on our cars are easy... with a 3' extension and wobbly set. And some swearing, and beer. :rolleyes:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
1UZ starter :)

It's under the intake manifold. Not terribly hard to do, just annoying as hell to have to pull the intake manifold.