Do you daily drive a 240sx?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
If you do, how do you like it? Im thinking of tradeing/selling my black n/a for a 240 just so i can save some money on the gas for a bit while i finish my turbo project... and then hopefully keep the 240 while i go to school also...

so if you drive a 240... give me your thoughts and opinions. i dont give a shit about how fast you can drift it. i wanna know how often shit breaks and whether you could call it more "reliable" than a supra.... hahaha

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I bought one for my daughter, and in all honesty I haven't been all that happy with it. ...well with the auto tranny, anyway.

I bought '93 with 57k original miles in pretty good shape for $2500 cash a couple of years ago - great deal. She wanted an auto after driving a 5 speed Tercel for a year, so I bought it and it lasted maybe half a year before the tranny went tits up. We took a gamble on a junk yard swap that lasted about another year. So we took that to Cottman's transmission for a full rebuild and had a tranny cooler installed for a total of $1600 and I'll slap my ass if it didn't have a seal crap out last week - only 6 months after the rebuild! Thank God I noticed the fluid trail and had it towed back to the shop for a warranty repair before the whole thing died - again.

So I guess with a tranny cooler, not letting her use OD unless she's on the highway and keeping an eye open for catastrophic transmission leaks, it's been pretty good.

Just make sure you buy a 5 speed, or better yet buy a 6th gen Celica to DD like I did. ;)

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
Be carefull when buying a five speed most of the drive lines are shot because most everywon that owns one thinks there a pro drifter. Same with the trannys.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
trying to find a non initial d raped s40sx is rare. decent cars if not beat on too bad. that and its a truck motor and trans.. top speed 117. decent gas mileage.

just finding a good one is the problem.

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
One of my best friends has one, a 1991 Auto, I think.... Considering the ricer he bought it from, and the shape he bought it in, its really a pretty good car. Gets about 20 mpg in the city, last I checked.

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
I had a 93 240sx as a dialy back in the day before my Supra and I fucking LOVED it!

That car was so much fun, I don't care what anybody says... KA24DE with bolt-ons are friggin' tight!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Driveline - as in the carrier bearing and the rear diff?
Transmission i can get from the junkyard too. or even try and rebuild it myself... haha.

I want RWD just in case i decide to go out and try to D1 the back roads... i know a bunch of 240 guys in my car club, so i was going to have them come with me if and when i decide to get one...

what kind of MPG was your daughter getting???

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
a lot of the dudes i know who have them can light em up pretty good... its suprising... and if its a "truck" motor all the better, means it should last! i love my supra, but i'll gladly take a .6L hit for 10 more MPG...

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I like the KA motors. everyone goes SR, which is cool but idk KA's seem to last if you take care of them. they do love bolt ons. KA turbo setups are great too.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i just got done looking at some of the build ups on ka-t.org or whatever it was... pretty cool. but im gonna have a turbo supra. so i have no need for another turbo car... haha

its either a 91 240 with some bolt ons... say... cat-back, test pipes, intake... and if i want/find some cam gears for cheap i'll do that too. cam gears always add a little.

OR

toyota truck. somethin with the 22r. they last. a very long time. haha
(i considered the AE86... but its FUGLY!)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
you like the 240 and you think the ae86 is ugly? please. 240s are the ugliest cars. period. you NEED a body kit just to look as good as the cars driving around you

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
lol. to me the AE is like a "midget"... its basically a go-kart... haha

if i saw an AE86 in the right color, and the right bodystyle (which im still not sure which is which to be honest) then MAYBE i would consider one... they have such tiny motors though... its like having a honda...

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Why are you getting such bad gas mileage? In my NA i was 25 MPG, and in my turbo supra with a 57 trim turbo and such, 5 speed, i can easily get 22-25 mpg.

Theres NO reason that your supra should be under 20 mpg.... Unless your hot rodding her around every corner, and in that case, your asking for bad gas mileage.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Just get a $500 metro that gets 30-40 mpg... it will pay for itself.. and you can work on your Supra with no rush. I've been down that, slightly cool car as a DD road and it never works out for me.