photo (7)..jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 67

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
thanks, I'll cross that out then.

next question:
from pic #4, are those round line ridges going across the machined surface ok for a MHG?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
appearance is not how you judge surface RA. You will almost always see tool marks unless some sort of polish or lapping has been done.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
I can literally feel every ridge by just gently moving my fingernail across.

For new valves
valve seals
lifters
clearance adjustment
carbon clean up
paint
and a resurface
what do you guys think would be an average price for all that? because I paid about $300

also, is it ok to paint the combustion chamber area around the valves?

thanks for your input, guys.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
It depends on the "paint" used, a few companies use a special coating to reduce heat transfer or something, is that what you meant?

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
I thought all they did was resurface it and spray painted the rest but I just checked the clearances and they're within specs. Maybe I shoulda checked em before I turned it in to see if they actually did a valve job but oh well..

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
When in doubt keep it out, go back to the machine shop and see if you can get the surface completely flat. if you were charged for new valves show them that they aren't new... maybe reconditioned but not new.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ yea i wouldnt bother assembly until I had worked out all the small details on what was done. Those valve look just like mine with 100K on them and a few passes through the "dish washer" style hydro jet cleaner the shop used.. There should be no need for the shop to lie, I would at least get it settled. May work out perfectly, may not.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
when i got my head resurfaced it looked just like that, i went to the same machine shop with a 7mgte and 2 7afe heads with graphite gasket and MHG, and never had a problem and my 7m is still running fine