do the problems ever end?

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
well lets see ive owned my car for a total of 2 weeks and the problems just seem to keep coming... and every time these things come up i wanna fucken send this thing to a god damn junkyard.... then ill fix that problem and drive it and wanna keep it... but now i feel like i wanna fucken smash it apart with a sludge hammer cause it wont start and i have no car... the problem is when i go to start my car and turn my key all the way to crank it everything dies
but in every other key position my radio and everything works so if anyone knows whats wrong this time that would be great :icon_evil

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Don't get discouraged. It's only been 2 weeks, which says that the problems are from previous owners not caring for the car the way they should have.

Sounds like a starter or battery issue. A battery can die in such a way that it will still put out 12v, but can't handle the amperage needed to crank the car.

I'd start by pulling the battery and taking it to an Autozone(or Advance, Pep Boys, Sears... any place that can test it for you). If that's not it, start checking the wiring from the battery -> starter -> ignition, it could just be a short.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
This happened to me for a long time... It was just that wires to my batery kept coming loose from driving without a batery holder. Make sure all battery cable are tight and that the cable running down to the starter is good.

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I have this problem every once in a while. Whenever it happens, I clean all the connections on the battery. For some reason there is always some corrosion that builds up between the terminals and the cables.

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
yea like when everything shuts off when i try to start the car i get out and move around the battery connections... making sure there tight and then things will come back on like my radio and my door ajar light and shit so im gonna go check all the wires and shit leading to my battery, ignition and starter... hopefully i can fix this so i have a car to drive

karmasupra

May 9, 2005
Macon, GA
I was having the same problem and found the ground wire on the positive wasn't making good contact. Just double check all your wires and I hope that gets you back on the road.

88 Supra N/A f/s
89 Supra > 1jz otw

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
thats exactly what it was.. i just was playin around and noticed when i moved that all my electronics vcame back on, so i tightened it and she fired up

also is there somethin i can do or somethin that will cause my car to take forever to start when its cold?

karmasupra

May 9, 2005
Macon, GA
Guess what; mine too.:nono: Are you sure you don't have my car by mistake. Feedback from the SM guys says it's either the cold start injector or the starter; just haven't gotten around to check. Lucky for me I'm down in GA so not so many cold days but for you the big apple one word brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!:aigo:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
peachtits said:
thats exactly what it was.. i just was playin around and noticed when i moved that all my electronics vcame back on, so i tightened it and she fired up

also is there somethin i can do or somethin that will cause my car to take forever to start when its cold?

Assuming that the motor is turning over but it's not firing, refer to the TRSM & find the section on the Cold Start Injector & troubleshoot it.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Remove the cold start injector and clean it thoroughly.... Night & day difference in cold starts assuming its still working! Use carb cleaner and a brush to scrub all the carbon and crap off the injector.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
on mine so far, ive done lower ball joints, brakes, rotors, HG, battery, alt, starter, waterpump , timing belt. all the belts and hoses, , clutch master cyl, heater core, lower timing gear, plus mass more stuff before i even started to mod it.

so ya it does not seem to ever end, but if you can fix it yourself its not that bad.. they are old cars and you just gotta expect it like any 15-20 yr old car... but ya know what, i enjoy it so much. ill never ever sell it...

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Man, I am sorry to hear that you aren't exacly enjoying her.

Look at the bright side of things: you have many guys that will help you out for free on this site--and with no reason to deceive you like some shop owners would, and you can have many parts from me cheap since you are local (heheheh).

Buying such a sophistocated car like this in an old state and after so many miles can be a task indeed. It sort of goes with the territory to have some things go wrong.

I really want to see pictures of your car...or even in person.

Where did you buy it from? I wonder if from anyone I know.

peachtits

Beer Pong Champ
Oct 27, 2005
upstate ny
naa you dont know him, cause my friend owned it for a time... but unfortunatly never got to drive it.. he just bought the turbo engine for it and basically left it and moved onto a different project so i picked it up and here i am

and i finally got a new digital camera so ill post some pics of my car here in the near future.