Do new cast pistons require

sagillman

Jun 19, 2008
freeport, fl
Does getting a new set of stock cast pistons require a rebalance? I'm rebuilding a 7m and I had the crank ground, rods re-sized w/arp hardware. the bore has very minimal wear so my machinist just honed the block. the pistons I received in the rebuild kit look exactly like the old ones just new, so my question is should I need a rebalence if I use these new pistons?

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
Your build sounds like mine im using the nprs off driftmotion
std size
resized rods with arps
crank grnd .010 under
im using a fidanza flywheel also

Im getting my engine balanced cause im going to be driving in pure track situations
But in reality it is a good idea to get even a stock engine balanced it ensures the parts work toghether instead off against not that expensive either im getting my spun and balanced for 150 thats some cheap insurance.....

Good luck

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
sagillman;1418354 said:
Does getting a new set of stock cast pistons require a rebalance? I'm rebuilding a 7m and I had the crank ground, rods re-sized w/arp hardware. the bore has very minimal wear so my machinist just honed the block. the pistons I received in the rebuild kit look exactly like the old ones just new, so my question is should I need a rebalence if I use these new pistons?

Weigh each piston to see how close they are.

Plus if you had the assembly balanced with different pistons, check those to see how they are to one another.

Machine shop shouldnt charge much if some of the new pistons need work to get same weight.

Rich