DNS issue or ISP issue?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Ok, I used to do desktop/network support back in the .com days but I'm way out of practice and out of touch these days.

I've had an on-going issue that has been bugging me for a while that I finally want to figure out.

Basic problem is if I got a site such as supramania.com, a site that I go to on a near daily basis the page won't load. It will just hang nothing loads, if I open a 2nd window and go to a big site like google or apple.com it loads instantly as does the other site. I've tested this over and over and it's always the same. It always seem to be smaller sites, never does amazon, google or anything big fail to load ever.

I can open a window to supramania and it will hang for 10 minutes if I allow it no change. As soon as I hit another bigger site they both load instantly. It's not something that happens every single time either, it is pretty random and seems to come in waves. Sites won't load for an hour then suddenly they load perfectly fine without the 2nd window trick.

I've tried changing all my DNS settings and using my ISP DNS servers as well as others with no change.

This happens on all my wired/wireless computers, all running macOS with a d-link wireless router(same thing happened with my old netgear router) and COX internet. I can't see the problem being on my end but who knows... Calling them with this sorta thing will result in "Ok, unplug the modem and wait 10 seconds, now plug it back in.".

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
You're changing the DNS settings locally on each PC or changing them in the router? I've had DNS issues that were only solved by setting them manually on any problem machine so that it does not rely on the router's DNS functions. (Infact the latest device was my brand new BD player, would not resolve anything without manually entering the DNS.)

BTW a brilliant tool for finding the fastest or preferred DNS for your location: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I've changed the DNS settings on each machine and the router.

That application is windows only, as mentioned I'm running all macs.

It's still confusing to me that the problem isn't persistent, it comes and goes. I could see if the problem is all the time then it could be my setup but when it works 100% fine all day I don't see what can be the issue.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
hmmmm weird, works fine for me in both windows and linux, but im no mac expert. what browser are you running? only thing i can think of is an issue with the web browser?

for the hell of it, does it do the same thing with celica supra. com or other forums? or just this one? and have you tired bypassing the router and just go modem to pc?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
As mentioned in the first post, it does it with a lot of smaller sites not just supramania. I used supramania as an example but it can be any number of smaller sites, ones I go to on a daily basis or ones I've never been to. I can browse a site just fine and suddenly I can't load a page within that same site.

I use safari but it happens with any browser that I use. I haven't tried to ping the site when this problem happens but I will next time and see what happens.