DIY Head gasket job possible?

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
Just bought a 92 non turbo with 175k and the HG never been replaced that I can tell. Got some overheating issues and everything points to the HG. I would like to do this myself but would really like some pro advice on some do's and don'ts. I know i need to have the head shaved. what about gasket replacement type, metal or ?? anything else I need to do while im in there? Thanks!!

Mark in VA

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
If you're not going more than or far from stock power, a regular-material headgasket like the one in the fel-pro kit will do. Just don't use the EGR-cooler gasket in said kit, get a OEM one from the dealership.

If you don't have a TSRM get one as well, it's got everything you need to know, except the torque on the headbolts, which is 75 foot-lbs.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
A. Jay;1826393 said:
If you're not going more than or far from stock power, a regular-material headgasket like the one in the fel-pro kit will do. Just don't use the EGR-cooler gasket in said kit, get a OEM one from the dealership.

If you don't have a TSRM get one as well, it's got everything you need to know, except the torque on the headbolts, which is 75 foot-lbs.

It probably wouldn't be a horrible idea to replace your stock head bolts with ARPs as well for piece of mind.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Welcome to the forums, mark.
I suggest you use the advanced search function at the top right of the page.
The replacement of the headgasket is probably the single most discussed topic on this site.
(that, and what the hell hommer simpson was thinking). Anyway, it is definitely a diy project that most can handle,
And good advice from A Jay above.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
What does the oil look like? If you have any suspicion that it was contaminated with coolant, just pull the engine and rebuild. And for Pete's sake, don't go get a JDM engine. Rebuild what you got, and use Toyota gaskets. <--That's my opinion.

The car in my sig...OEM HG with ARP bolts. I don't own it anymore but I know who does. 40k miles since I replaced it and the car is still awesome.

Oh, and congrats on your purchase of a rare 92. Love it. Take care of it.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
SupraMania: Ask a question, get it answered, no need to thank anyone.

:nono:

EDIT: Oh, I see the OP thanked us ahead of time, good enough for me. Oh well, still applies to several threads just last week.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
marks332;1832519 said:
My ARP bolt instruction sheet say to torque to 90....everywhere I read says 75...who should I trust???

When working with aftermarket fasteners, always follow the recommendations of the manufacturer of the fastener.

Also, be sure to follow all instructions - if they give you a spec and it says "with molly lube", be sure you use the lube for that.

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
Ok got the head back on. Cant seem to find anywhere that tells me how to reposition the distributor assembly back after getting the cams at TDC etc. Thanks again, everyone has been great with all the help!!

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
All finished and it started right up, gotta put a timing light on it and mission accomplished. Got two left over electrical connections I just couldnt find. both on the lower intake side one brown one white. everything works that I can tell so maybe its part of the turbo that I dont have (wishful thinking) Also gotta trouble shoot why I dont have any heat. TSRM is a big help but you have to know where to look. No index for rookies like me to find things.