DIY Hard Pipes

mk3

Apr 11, 2008
Australia
hey all,

any one here done a DIY hard pipe kit for their supra here ? ive seen a couple that have done it with PVC piping..i was thinking of doing it for fun while my motor runs in...before i chuck all my goodies on the car :p

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
IJ.;1115180 said:
I make my own.

<CRE searches for paper upon which to write his [strike]list of demands[/strike] wish list> :naughty:

If you've already got a set of hardpipes for your car I'd just put them in (hell, even if you don't have a set yet)... I couldn't see going to the trouble of making a set that's just going to get tossed in a couple months and going through the effort of putting them in twice... no thanks.

mk3

Apr 11, 2008
Australia
car is currently unregoed/getting rebuild and uncomplied

im building it for 400-500hp so i cant exactly rock up and say rego me with a HKS T04 coming off the side of my motor :p + i gotta put my pistons and crap in and let it all run in then im chucking my FFIM and front mount cooler on. so just wanted to see if it actully made a difrence with some DIY hard pipes. stock piping is so fucking shit..half rubber half difrent sized plastic. stock pipes FTL

roundfinger

Supramania Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
Pensacola, Florida, United States
Definitely check out JBLMK3.com he's made some fast cars on the cheap and shows you how to make the Lowes/HomeDepot pipes that are soooo tempting to do, esp when u see his numbers and the years theyv survived.

Dont listen to IJ tho, ive read that guys thread and he can make gold out of straw.

If you do make yourself up a set of metal ones document it with some pics so i can try to copy...or have a muffler shop copy.

Last edited:

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i'm suprised. i thought the welds would be mega clean with a TIG. i don't have much experience with a TIG though so i can't say for sure. my dad has a old friend that welds aluminum parts for us cheap. his welds look like a robot did it to. he will be doing my hardpipes soon and i will show you what i mean.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I made mine up with mild steel, mandrel bends and straight pipe.
It is 3" ID at the throttle body, and 2.5" from there to the FMIC, and another 2.5" from the IC to a single shorter 2.25" ID pipe off the turbo. (The actual ID of the turbo outlet is more like 2.25, not 2.5 I've found in many cases.)

I've powdercoated this set of pipes twice.. Once in white with a black vein.. looks "hammertone" in the photos, and now candy apple red with a clear coat..
p1116293_1.jpg

Made my own custom down pipe, and modified the "chinabay" stainless manifold as needed to get it exactly like I wanted.
Here is how they used to look.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

My FMIC is not as big as IJ's, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.. the oil cooler might not fit if the IC was any larger. (I just TIG welded the RX7 cooler mounting brackets to the end tanks of the intercooler, and there is a good 3/4" air gap between them, with only a few inches of each mounting bracket touching between the two, so not much heat transfer from the oil cooler to the FMIC.
p1116293_2.jpg

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
Here are some Custom Hardpipes we made for a customer, so I guess you can consider them DIY since they are built for the customer's particular setup:

Custom 3000 Pipe
p1116372_1.jpg

RayRay getting it ready to weld the next piece
p1116372_2.jpg

Mocking it up
p1116372_3.jpg

Mocking up the rest so Ernie can weld it
p1116372_4.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
black89t;1116267 said:
i'm suprised. i thought the welds would be mega clean with a TIG. i don't have much experience with a TIG though so i can't say for sure. my dad has a old friend that welds aluminum parts for us cheap. his welds look like a robot did it to. he will be doing my hardpipes soon and i will show you what i mean.

He can weld ;)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
black89t;1116267 said:

tig welding takes mad skill and very very steady hands....especially with aluminum considering it is generally a pain in the ass to weld....

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;1116424 said:
While my welds may not be pretty they don't fail and don't over penetrate into the pipes ;)

ij its not about how well it works...but how good it looks....damnit man get with the times....so friggin old school lol