DIY Camera Rig

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Well now that my car is mostly done, and I've got a few weeks before school starts back up, I decided to put together a project I've been wanting to do for a while.

A Camera Rig.

What the hell is that you ask?
It's a set of rigging used to enable photographs like...

1375420865_7b3cbc88c7.jpg

2120637476_153bd62f87.jpg

1468722334_b25018e825.jpg

NOTE: ^^ not my photos. Just very good examples of the type of photos a rig allows you to take

As for buying a premade kit, there's only a few companies that make specific parts for it, and the result.. is that it costs several hundreds of dollars to buy a kit. Well... Screw that. So I made my own.

The C.O.M. right now is a hair over $65.00.

Parts used:

Suction Cups from Harbor Freight
- One two cup unit, two single cup units. The reason for this is that the dual cup unit doesn't oscillate or anything, so it requires a fairly flat surface to mount on. The single cups require a much smaller footprint, and work well for the support beams.
- 3 METAL extending poles. Again, I went to harbor freight and picked up some that looked like they'd fit the bill. (1x 4-8', 2x 3-6')
- A few dozen 1/4"-20 nuts, bolts, washers
- Couple feet of aluminum
- Drill press (with metal drill bit, you'll destroy a non metal one)
- A little bit of wood

Hinges

DSC_0247.jpg

Drilled a 1/4" hole in the middle of the handle, and used a 2.5" bolt with several washers and a locknut to secure the hinge.

DSC_0249.jpg

As you can see, it's basically a U-joint. I measured the aluminum strips, bent them, drilled the appropriate holes, and mounted. In total, there are....6 of these on the rig.

DSC_0248.jpg

For the single cup units, I cut a peice of 3/4" MDF the shape of the handle, drilled pilot holes, and screwed it to the handle of the suction cup. NOTE: This picture is not final. I took the picture of the wrong cup when I was shooting these. The other one is finished, the difference is that there are
1) a few larger holes drilled out so that ties can be fastened around the handles making sure the suction isn't broken by vibrations
2) two more screws added, giving a total of 6 around the circumference.

The other side has another U-joint with washers and lock nut.

Poles
DSC_0251.jpg

The main pole came with the groove and top slots built in, so it locks every 6" or so. I then turned it on its side and drilled holes every 3" the length of the extending section. This allows for great versatility in mounting the support poles.

DSC_0250.jpg

The support poles are also drilled, but every 2". I then drilled 4 holes on the non extending beam, making a + if you were to intersect them. Again, allows for more options when mounting the unit on a vehicle.

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

Whats that square dealy?
DSC_0252.jpg

Its how I mount the camera. I made a box with the aluminum strip, drilling strategically placed holes allowing for LOTS of mounting options, also allowing me to expand this later with flash units.

I'm going to pick up some steel tubing and make a full cage for that frame, so if something were to happen, and the camera were to fall, it would be fully protected. It shouldn't, but shit happens.

Why won't the camera fall off?
Because I'm a blooming idiot and am ignoring the fact that it will fall off.

Nawwww, I kid. I can't say with 100% certainty that it won't, but thats why you test test test. For example,

DSC_0230.jpg

thats about 10lbs of water, hanging from the rig for an hour. It only sank about 2" down because the suction cup on the side of the car was on dirty paint and didn't have the best suction.

AND, the it'll always be used with a come-along for extra security
DSC_0246.jpg

That, coupled with the full metal cage for the camera, it should be okay.

How do you take photos?
One of two ways:
1) Wireless shutter. THis is the best option, and mine is in the mail. Until then, there's option
2) Long ass USB cord. I've got a 25' cord that's plugged into the camera and I then control the camera from my laptop, also giving me the ability to take picture after picture and adjust settings on the fly.

Options 1 + 2 = :)

That's great and all, but those poles are going to be ugly in the final shot
In the final shot, you won't ever know there were poles.......

Shots using the rig should be ready in a day or two, depends if I get ballsy and use the rig without the finished cage or not.....

But yea, about $65 in materials, and 6hrs of work... Should allow me to greatly expand my portfolio :)

Last edited:

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
dude thats sick! What setting do usually use for those kind of photos? I going to guess the shuttet priorty mode? thanks for the photo tips and help!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
bluemkiii;1123775 said:
dude thats sick! What setting do usually use for those kind of photos? I going to guess the shuttet priorty mode? thanks for the photo tips and help!

Actually, I'll be shooting either Aperture priority or full manual. I dislike shooting shutter priority because it doesn't allow for that much control of the light.

The key to shooting is to get your f/stop as small as possible, i'll be aiming for f/20 ish. That'll allow for shots during the day to have a blurred background, but not get too bright (as you'd get from a long exposure at a lower f/). That way, the camera automatically figures out how long it needs to open the shutter to get the amount of light needed. Day shots that can be around 1/2 sec, to night shots where it'll be 10+.

Last edited:

mk3

Apr 11, 2008
Australia
wait, im dumb so let me say sumthing....so what u do is you stick it on the other car and drive next to the car u want to take photos of ?

wont it be bumpy as fuck and the camera will shake bad, resulting in blury pics with long shutter speeds ?

sorry im only just getting into photography and love it...so dont blast me :p

I can't wait to see the pictures you get from this contraption =) I am also wondering, does this mount go on the car pictured or another car next to the car being pictured? I imagine having it on the car being pictured would need a lot of photoshopping to get the bars out =\

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
mk3;1124469 said:
wait, im dumb so let me say sumthing....so what u do is you stick it on the other car and drive next to the car u want to take photos of ?

wont it be bumpy as fuck and the camera will shake bad, resulting in blury pics with long shutter speeds ?

sorry im only just getting into photography and love it...so dont blast me :p

No, you stick the rig on the camera you're taking the pictures of. You have to be very precise in choosing your locations for shooting, for example.. you really don't need to go more than 15mph over a .5-1s exposure to create the desired effect. But yes, finding a smooth driving surface is key.

I did some test shots with it today, and while the mounting poles are very secure, the current ring for mounting the camera wobbles quite a bit, so I'll have to redo that in the near future.

rtrdpenguin;1124475 said:
I can't wait to see the pictures you get from this contraption =) I am also wondering, does this mount go on the car pictured or another car next to the car being pictured? I imagine having it on the car being pictured would need a lot of photoshopping to get the bars out =\

Like I said above, the car being pictured. And yes, it does require Photoshop to remove the bars (unless you shoot certain angles in which the bars are out of frame, obviously)

IJ.;1124477 said:
Might wanna check the legality of driving around with the rig and no permit :(

Thought about that, but the only public roads I'll be driving on with the rig will be smooth, empty, backroads. That and parking structures. As I mentioned above, you don't need to be going very quickly to get good results :)

But yea, no way in hell am I taking that thing through traffic. looks like it should be used to scoop up and catapult small children.

Oh, and the U-joints worry me a little bit. When the rig is fully tightened, they're fine, but i think I might make a heftier 2nd version.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
here (knoxville) would probably be the same way. Lucky for me, If I was going to build one of these, I could show them my university ID and tell them it's research equipment and probably get off the hook...

...I am considering something like this, as well, but for videography. I haven't really thought about it too much in depth, since I'm still working on purchasing the camera and whatnot. Video is a lot more expensive to get into than photography (which I have tons of equipment for) I'm finding out...

Anyways, I'll quit rambling. Really excited to see some shots with the rig!