Divorced Down Pipes

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Dan_Gyoba;1933072 said:
Humidity doesn't affect fuel cut... Or shouldn't. ....Hotwire AFMs can be affected by humidity

That is backwards. Everybody gets it backwards sometimes. Humidity has no effect on a hotwire mass airflow sensor. However, the saturated air will make the vibration faster in a KV meter.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Nick M;1933582 said:
That is backwards. Everybody gets it backwards sometimes. Humidity has no effect on a hotwire mass airflow sensor. However, the saturated air will make the vibration faster in a KV meter.

So using a GM MAF and a translator should be an upgrade?

Since a GM MAF and a simple translator can be cheap, why does everyone wants a 1uz AFM?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Don't know what Brand of DP I have, fits perfect though (CT26). Wastegate to atmosphere. Have extremely annoying boost creep issues. Bought new accordion hose and wastegate actuator from DM. Still creeping. I'm all out of ideas here. Am I missing anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
D.J.T.;1979384 said:
I have it on all gears. It's driving me crazy. Any thing I can do to the DP to make it stop?

What's your setup? Mine stops in the first couple of gears because my controller adjusts it back to where it should be.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
DM intercooler. 2.5" piping. DM 3" cat back, DDP (I'll post pics soon) new accordion hose and wastegate actuator (11psi) . Holds 11 psi for a second or two then creeps up to 15 & hits fuel cut

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Doat;1979426 said:
I think you should get a boost controller to help keep it at 11psi.

If it is actually creep, then a boost controller won't help. That's what boost creep is. When the wastegate can't flow enough air to keep the turbine from spinning faster and faster you get boost creep. The wastegate is wide open, but still can't remove enough flow to manage the boost pressure.

No matter what exhaust or boost controller you have you are limited by the turbo's wastegate port (assuming it's internal, like the CT-26). A boost controller can help raise boost, but it can never help to lower boost on an internal, spring controlled wastegate like the CT26.

It also doesn't make sense to me that you would see boost creep in first or second gear. Those gears go by quick enough that if you have unstable boost readings I'd blame your boost controller set-up well before thinking you had any kind of boost creep. I get boost creep, but I can only see it in really long 3rd gear runs or 4th or 5th. I dont mind since by the time creep begins I'm well over any speed limit and should probably be slowing down... ;)

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I get creep from 2-5th. No boost controller. Just the DM 11psi actuator. I think I'll have a shop bore out the wastegate hole. I read somewhere around here that it's safe to bore it out to 34mm? Stock is 25mm. I'll make sure
edame5e9.jpg
there's my DP. It's not stainless like most I've seen. I know I need to relocate the wideband... I'll take pics of the mouth soon.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I think porting the wastegate will help prevent boost creep I need to do the same but I don't have the time to remove the turbo and do all of that.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Had I realized that I'd get creep when I was ordering my turbo I would have looked into porting the wastegate. Now that it's installed I'm not really worried about it. My thought is that by the time I can notice any creep I'm going faster than the 75mph speed limits in my area and I should slow down anyway.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
D.J.T.;1979491 said:
I get creep from 2-5th. No boost controller. Just the DM 11psi actuator. I think I'll have a shop bore out the wastegate hole. I read somewhere around here that it's safe to bore it out to 34mm? Stock is 25mm

Yeah my boost creep issues were alleviated after porting my wastegate hole. But I don't think you need to go to 34mm. I think just 30-32mm was enough for mine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rollus;1933587 said:
So using a GM MAF and a translator should be an upgrade?

Since a GM MAF and a simple translator can be cheap, why does everyone wants a 1uz AFM?

The 1UZ replica housing is less money. The MAFT-Pro seems to be a more popular upgrade based on testimony here. It has a wide range of adjustability, much like the old HK$ alphabet tuning.

suprarx7nut;1979489 said:
It also doesn't make sense to me that you would see boost creep in first or second gear. Those gears go by quick enough that if you have unstable boost readings I'd blame your boost controller set-up

No, it doesn't. But that is because the engine load on lower gears is lower.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Wow Nick, I can't remember what I was thinking when I wrote that. Thanks for your answer by the way ;)
It was probably related to humidity and accurancy. I can't imagine the KV AFM less accurate than a GM hotwire.