Dissassembly, and the words that followed after....

CoopMK3

Who's the chick in my bed
Jan 12, 2009
Whiteland, Indiana
Ok so i ripped apart my 7mgte:1zhelp::1zhelp:... Was like oh cool... Yeah... The oil deprevation it had has caused of course the bearings to fail:aigo:.... And fail hard.(First question where to get bearings and how much) Around the rods the crank had actually turned blue from the heat.:cry::1zhelp: (That part is taken care of all machineing is spoken for..):biglaugh: But ripped apart the head and found that the cams where the journals sat are also massive fail:nono::cry::nono:. (Where to look for decent after market cams or to stick with originals?) Is there anything else that i should really check for? And what would be the best idea for a head gasket would like to go better that felpro..:ugh:?

cleancarct

Jun 10, 2009
East Hartford CT
CoopMK3;1370441 said:
Ok so i ripped apart my 7mgte:1zhelp::1zhelp:... Was like oh cool... Yeah... The oil deprevation it had has caused of course the bearings to fail:aigo:.... And fail hard.(First question where to get bearings and how much) Around the rods the crank had actually turned blue from the heat.:cry::1zhelp: (That part is taken care of all machineing is spoken for..):biglaugh: But ripped apart the head and found that the cams where the journals sat are also massive fail:nono::cry::nono:. (Where to look for decent after market cams or to stick with originals?) Is there anything else that i should really check for? And what would be the best idea for a head gasket would like to go better that felpro..:ugh:?

Most head gaskets are good but you should be sure the head and deck surface of the block are completly flat or the head gasket will blow again. The est thing to do wold be to get a good machien shop to overhaul the entire block and have them put the bearings in for you.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
You can get bearings from:
sipracing
titanmotorsports
suprasport
driftmotion etc

as well as headgaskets...I'd get a steel headgasket of proper thickness and bore size (confirmed by machinist) after block and head have been decked to the proper ra spec....forget a composite headgasket as a metal cometic isn't that expensive.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
gaboonviper85;1370480 said:
You can get bearings from:
sipracing
titanmotorsports
suprasport
driftmotion etc

as well as headgaskets...I'd get a steel headgasket of proper thickness and bore size (confirmed by machinist) after block and head have been decked to the proper ra spec....forget a composite headgasket as a metal cometic isn't that expensive.

And don't forget the obvious place: Toyota. ;)

Poodles;1370491 said:
cam journals looking like crap is typical...

Right on.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Poodles;1370491 said:
cam journals looking like crap is typical...

More important is how does the head cam saddles look? If it's bad, a line bore is required to fix it.
Before going to that expense (or any other on a head), get it hardness tested.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
The blue color is on every crank. That is from the hardening process when new. Are the failed bearings factory original or aftermarket replacements? How did you come to the conclusion that oil starvation caused your problem?

CoopMK3

Jan 12, 2009
Whiteland, Indiana
suprarich;1370638 said:
The blue color is on every crank. That is from the hardening process when new. Are the failed bearings factory original or aftermarket replacements? How did you come to the conclusion that oil starvation caused your problem?

because of the excessive heat but there is alot of heat and its just not on the edges it goes down a bit

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
CoopMK3;1371149 said:
because of the excessive heat but there is alot of heat and its just not on the edges it goes down a bit

It's called induction hardening ;)

Did you run the motor out of oil? The real clue is what did the bearings look like?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
CoopMK3;1371149 said:

What excessive heat do you keep speaking of? If you are just looking at the crank, there is little to learn about how hot it got. All that blue is from the factory.

Many things can cause a bearing failure. That why I was asking about your bearings. The last motor I fixed for some one had rod failure on 3 rods. He blamed it on no oil. BUT, what really caused it was the clevite bearings stuffed into the undersize main and rod bearing openings. This crushed the bearing and made it mushroom out the sides of 3 rods and 2 mains. Each of those was undersize. The ones that where within spec are still fine.

So again, did you have factory original bearings or aftermarket bearings fail?

CoopMK3

Jan 12, 2009
Whiteland, Indiana
suprarich;1370638 said:

Sorry i was kinda computerless for a while. The bearings were stock factory bearings and oil starvation was the problem because the person who had the car before me put in some type of oil pressure gauge and didn't get it tight enough and ran it for a night on little oil not knowing it untill it started knocking cuz it had no oil. 2 of the Rod bearings were actually in 3 peices.