Discouraged....

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Well, just when I thought I had the Supra all dialed in and running great, I developed a miss at idle and at all speeds.

Might be the timing as I just got finished replacing the leaking o-ring on the CPS. Got it timed COLD, but haven't had time to time it HOT.

Anyhow, I still have several more years and thousands of more dollars to go to get my Supra where i want it. It needs paint and some minor body work. I have already put in about $4500 in the GTE Swap, new tires, shocks, windshield, headlights, steering rack, radiator, rebuilt turbo, etc. So, alot of new parts.

The thing is, my wife is due with our first child in June 06, and I may be enrolling in a masters program next fall.

I am coming to a crossroad here with the Supra. I don't know if I'll have the time or money to play with it like I want to. So far it is somewhat reliable, but if the above goes through as it should, I can't rely on it for transportation.

Thoughts of selling it are pasing through my head. :cry:

Any advise or thoughts are appreciated.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The miss is likely a wire, plug, coil, or igniter. :)

Change plans for the Supra - turn it into a reliable source of transportation rather than a street rocket. You can always change your mind when the kid goes to school and you stop having to fund daycare.

Larry_A

You don't matter
Apr 7, 2005
SoCAL
Hello Supra Blues,
Your screen name says it all, LOL. You need a shot of optimism.

I bought my 1st Supra when wifey was expecting #2. Years later, I bought the 2nd Supra while I was unemployed. What's my point? Enable yourself. Monopolize more of every day's 1,440 minutes to your benefit, and your family's.

Sure it sounds simplistic in an easier said than done kind of way, but people who conclude masters programs aren't under-achievers, either. Derive a plan, budget time, budget money, leave room for contingency plans...not rocket science. And realize that shi+ happens, & when it does, just deal with it.

As for the miss, I had a constant miss & it was a stuck injector. For you, air, fuel, spark...it'll be one of those. Each tooth of the CPS gear is ~27°, so the CPS is probably installed OK, if it runs at all. Poor CPS connections are known to cause stumbles as well, mainly from old connectors & petrified wiring. Did you jumper TE1 & E1 in the diagnostic block when you checked the timing? Hot or cold shouldn't matter, but the engine should be @ 650rpms. Most run a bit faster when cold. Whatever it is, I doubt that major component replacement will be required. Chill out, & approach the issue with a diagnostic plan- not rocket science.

As for paint, I've had to put off painting my car, too. So, some things do have to give, LOL; but I'm working on it. Besides, I've spent 3 years times 3 children wiping a$$ & 16 years helping them grow, so I deserve a new paint job.

Good luck.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
GrimJack said:
The miss is likely a wire, plug, coil, or igniter. :)

Change plans for the Supra - turn it into a reliable source of transportation rather than a street rocket. You can always change your mind when the kid goes to school and you stop having to fund daycare.

Not gonna be a street rocket. All I wanted to do was go turbo - thats it. Remaining mostly stock otherwise, except for planned new wheels and exhaust.

Not knowing what it is, is driving my nuts.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
CtSupra said:
just take it off the road and keep it in the back of your mind. you'll need a place to sleep when the wife is angry with you :D
TRU DAT!!! Not only something to work on and "meditate" with while she gets her HUNNEEDO list going...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Larry_A said:
Hello Supra Blues,
Your screen name says it all, LOL. You need a shot of optimism.

I bought my 1st Supra when wifey was expecting #2. Years later, I bought the 2nd Supra while I was unemployed. What's my point? Enable yourself. Monopolize more of every day's 1,440 minutes to your benefit, and your family's.

Sure it sounds simplistic in an easier said than done kind of way, but people who conclude masters programs aren't under-achievers, either. Derive a plan, budget time, budget money, leave room for contingency plans...not rocket science. And realize that shi+ happens, & when it does, just deal with it.

As for the miss, I had a constant miss & it was a stuck injector. For you, air, fuel, spark...it'll be one of those. Each tooth of the CPS gear is ~27°, so the CPS is probably installed OK, if it runs at all. Poor CPS connections are known to cause stumbles as well, mainly from old connectors & petrified wiring. Did you jumper TE1 & E1 in the diagnostic block when you checked the timing? Hot or cold shouldn't matter, but the engine should be @ 650rpms. Most run a bit faster when cold. Whatever it is, I doubt that major component replacement will be required. Chill out, & approach the issue with a diagnostic plan- not rocket science.

As for paint, I've had to put off painting my car, too. So, some things do have to give, LOL; but I'm working on it. Besides, I've spent 3 years times 3 children wiping a$$ & 16 years helping them grow, so I deserve a new paint job.

Good luck.

DAMN FINE post Larry, there is a lot of wisdom in this short message. Thanks for being who you are, dude. :D

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Get this.

I timed it dead on 10 BTDC a week ago. First day is today that drove it on the freeway to work and such.

Checked the timing again right now and it was off the charts!!!! WTF?!?!?! It was something like 20 or 25 BTDC. :aigo: How the hell did it go from 10 to 20????

I triple checked my timing when I set a week ago. Dead on 10. CPS adjustment bolt was tight.

This has not been the first time this has happened. Anyone have an explanation????

Idle smoothed out immediatly. Idles great again. I don't get how the timing got that far advanced.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Nice wisdom Larry...

If you are desperate and need the money sell it...you can always buy another one.
If not use it for daily transportation like the others have said.

I would love to have my supra put out over 500hp plus..but I have working on other plans...bigger plans...then when I have achieved those I will work on my supra plans.
Just be sure you know your priorities and focus on them otherwise if you focus on the wrong things in life, things will go wrong and oyu will find it harder to deal with life.Make the right decisions....

Cheers,
Roy

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Damn....speak of the devil....my car jjust started missing at idle today///

I have to check the timing and tps this weekend...All other wires seem intact.

cheers,
Roy

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Adjusted the TPS per TSRM at the same time. As far as I can tell it is adjusted properly. Cleaned the ISC at the same time too. At first it idled great. Then yesterday started missing. Checked and readjusted timing last night. After the adjustment it idles great again.

Dunno how the timing can get that far advanced?:dunno: