Disappointing Dyno

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
Sam;1357105 said:
In the Brian Crower cam group buy, Zazzn said that these cams can be simply dropped in without any modifications. Maybe I'll give Brian Crower a call and see what they say.

I think what Zazzn means is that you dont need springs and retainers with the 264's. Thats what he means by drop in. But any camshaft you put in your motor besides the ones that came with it should be checked for clearence. When I put my BC shafts in some of them were way off spec.

2quickk

Jun 22, 2009
Prosser
www.myspace.com
For what you paid they should have installed everything you brought them and you should have produced way more power....seems like you visited AutoNightmare:evil2: I suggest going to a reputable tuning shop and get it done right somewhere else, seems like you got a bunk job from them :nono:....good luck getting it fixed!

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
talk to the shop, ask them what they did during install. ask how the install went, then ask if they know what a feeler gauge even is. you must check the valve clearance on a new camshaft even if someone says it's just drop in, every 1jz is different when it comes to valve clearance this is why there are many shim sizes to order. if the valve clearance is off your 1j will fell like its out of time because it is, just on a valve to valve level.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Zumtizzle;1356463 said:
Knew it.

You can really burn up valves if you don't do this right. :(

Find a New Shop too. This one obviously shouldn't touch a car let alone a performance build.

The specifications listed in the instructions you posted for a 7M-GE will work with a 1JZ aswell?

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I just purchased two HKS timing gears and a full intercooler kit. This should help somewhat. I contacted Autodream about the valve lash adjustment, and the gentleman on the phone seemed to know what it was and why it's needed. He wasn't the guy who worked on my car so he said he couldn't say for sure whether or not it was done. So I'll have to phone back again later when that mechanic is actually working...

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I phoned Autodream again and I spoke to the mechanic who worked on my vehicle. He said the valve lash did not need to be adjusted because it is a self-adjusting hydraulic system.

As for the ridiculously long and rough start ups, he blames the combination of the now bigger primary injectors combined with the secondary injector. The mixture at start up is now too rich, therefore, a more difficult start up. The Apexi SAFC II cannot compensate for this.

Why does nobody else document this problem but me? This is retarded.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Sam;1359919 said:
I phoned Autodream again and I spoke to the mechanic who worked on my vehicle. He said the valve lash did not need to be adjusted because it is a self-adjusting hydraulic system.

As for the ridiculously long and rough start ups, he blames the combination of the now bigger primary injectors combined with the secondary injector. The mixture at start up is now too rich, therefore, a more difficult start up. The Apexi SAFC II cannot compensate for this.

Why does nobody else document this problem but me? This is retarded.

Take your car somewhere else that "mechanic" dose not know what the hell he is talking about. I would go so far as calling them on there work and getting my money back, also contact BBB and report then for what its worth.

I use to sell them parts in a past carrier and I am amazed there still open after some of the stuff I herd back then.

x2 on What IJ said.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
you can shim ur own valves in a day. Keep the cams straight up and down for now until you can get to a dyno.

You don't need a lot of tools really... just some of ur time.

just use a feeler guage and turn the crank. If a shim needs to be replaced, identify it, measure it with a micrometer and see what you need. I have a lot of shims here, I can ship you some, just send me the ones out of spec...

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
IJ.;1360026 said:
Why should he?

He's already paid for it to be done....

I get that, but would you seriously trust them do to it right? If I paid for it, and the mechanic told me they are hydraulic, I'd run away. At least when he talked to the "mechanic" again, he can tell them what is wrong and give him ammo to fight with.

I'd rather do it myself and KNOW it was done right and am just offering my shims and go on a war party to ensure no one else went to this shop.

Autonightmare.

Not to mention if the vavles are really off, burning a valve from driving it around.... I'd check them myself if there's no on else.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm also a local Calgary guy here.

I would strongly recommend taking your ride to Reg Riemer over at RCTS. The guy is strightup with his work and definitely knows what he is doing. Atleast give him a call and see what he advises. I believe Reg is away on holidays ATM and if so, see if you can leave a message for Vlad to give you a ring back.

The shop is called RCTS. I have been dealing with him now for well over 10 years. The don't do oil changes, they don't do alignments. All they do period is high HP Supras and BMW's and I have yet to ever hear anyone ever have anything bad to say about his work.

They also have a dyno onsite of course. They are the local HKS and Dinan authroized shop.

At the very least Reg or Vlad willk give you some advice on what to do next and how to deal with Autodream.

www.monsterhorsepower.com

This will definitely get you on the road to solving your probs I think.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Thanks for the shop suggestion Flateric, but I don't think I'll be making any big trips over a province anytime soon. There is a Tuning shop in Saskatoon (which is close to where I live) called Performance Plus and they have a dyno. I would have gone there, but their mechanic quite. There was still people to operate the dyno and tune, but I wanted everything done at once. They are well received locally, so next time I need tuning I'll just go there.

I have a mechanic in my town who knows my car quite well. He can do just about any mechanical work to my car as long I do prior research and tell him what parts to order exactly.

As for Autodream, talking to them further or taking legal action is more effort than I would like to muster. I'm just going to swallow my mistake for going there and forget the $2400.00 I so painstakingly saved up.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Make sure you let as many of your friends and friends friends know not to do any business with them then. Get on local boards and post what there "mechanic" said. Also a word of warning most "performance" shops do not have Licensed mechanics, there kids that can turn wrenches and know a bit about one car or another.

Learn how to do this stuff your self and save the $$ and the pain of doing it 2 times because of shoddy work that you paid top dollar for.

I would still call them and ask if there "mechanic" is a licensed one and if so his ticket number so you can report him to the Province.

Work like that is unacceptable and trying to take advantage of a customer that dose not know any better is bad business.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
To the best of my knowledge they do not at this time employ any licensed mechanics.

Well dude if you ever happen to be passing through Calgary they be sure to message me and we'll meetup for a coffee. Would still love to see your car.