Dirty dirty rebuild help>>

MK3Supraman

May 28, 2009
olathe,ks
alright guys so i need opinions on if this will work out or not.

STORY:(short)
bought 90 turbo white package.

MHG & arp studs

7mgte 60k on motor HARMONIC balancer spun and took out the crank snout

very very very quiet knock cant even hear at 2500rpm just when you turn it off

pop of the cam cover and the timing belt is soaked in oil :aigo:

Budget: $1100

Time:2 weeks

Need:
.good crank
.harmonic balancer&key
.main &rod bearings
.cam seals
.front main seal
.oil pan gasket

Probably will add new.
.oem oil pump
.aisin waterpump
.greddy timing belt w/ oem tensioner&spring
.rear main seal
.oil cooler hoses

the questions.
. can i get away with putting in good crank with std size clevite main and rod bearings and it be reliable?
.also while leaving the head still on it just flipping it over will it work?
.will coollant mix with oil somehow if i do it with the head on?

all help appreciated

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

also i dont have anything to clearance the bearings thats why im asking if i can throw in the std size and get away with it.

NOTES:
no visible shavings in oil

also same inside head and beautiful cam lobes pretty clean.

minus the oil soaked timing belt and cream like sludge on the tensioner spring from build up

MKIII TURBO60-1

Dec 29, 2008
Ocala,Fl
to answer your questions no no and no, just because you dont see metal doesnt mean its not there, u also need to pull the head off other wise you would not be able to put the rods and pistons back in because you need to get the rods atleast checked for roundness, i was in the process of doing a rebuild and bought a built bottom end so i have many of the parts you would need i sent you a pm. i would also get the head cleaned and inspected. Any where oil goes needs to be cleaned and or replaced to ensure that you have a clean oiling system. This is my advice choose to use it as you please

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Knock knock....

WHO'S THERE?

ROD KNOCK!!!!

I would atleast take everything apart and clean it well and have the crankshaft checked and machined to specs. From what I have picked up from here is putting in a set of bearings without checking the crank etc. pretty much means rod knock down the road. What I understand is the crank journals from the factory are not all the same and thats why Toyota sells different sized bearings for the journals. So pretty much you have to have the crank machined to use any other bearings to prevent rod knock later down to the road.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

MK3Supraman

May 28, 2009
olathe,ks
no no i would def. have the crank checked and have them re do it to the new bearings but would they need to do the rods also?

anyone know where i can get a good gte with mhg and arp's? moreno valley ca,

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
The rods would just need to be checked to make sure the end that attaches to the crank is not out-of-round.

When you start budgeting and putting a time limit on something such as a engine build you really shouldn't cut corners unless you want an engine you will end up spending more money on another engine build down the road. So do it right the first time.

MK3Supraman

May 28, 2009
olathe,ks
ive only got like two weeks to get something in and drive it to kansas lol im in so cal

so do i need to take the crank and the bearings in together even though they std size?

can i just take a fresh micropolished crank and throw in the std clevite bearings and assuming the rods are good would it work? or blow before 1500 miles?

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
just rebuild the damn thing $1100 should be more than enough money for all your machine work. And then build the motor yourself

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
MK3Supraman;1540896 said:
haha yeah right ship the car lol talk about a waste of money thad be the 1100 if not more right there

How is that any different then doing what you are trying to do? Sure you can throw some bearings at it then spend another 1100 to 2000 dollars to rebuild when it spins a bearing.

Here is a good thread to read also http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?5631-7M-assembly-tips.