Dillema: XS Power kit vs Driftmotion & ct26 350-375rwhp goal

white1jz90

Mar 5, 2007
Columbia,Md
Hey i havent really been on here but ive been using this and other supra sites to research and put together my 1jz Ive had the car about a year and a half but it was only running for a month. I blew the hg and spun a rod bearing these are pictures of the setup i chose since the twins came a little clogged up.Half way through typing this i relized i dont know how i can post pictures????heres my myspace for now http://home.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Prettyazznouka said:
Thats not bad at all.... I think ill just save and go single the right way. 460whp thats niceeee

At what power range does the w58 give out? It has almost 150k on it im assuming unless it was replaced before

Throw in all of the other minor stuff such as oil, gaskets, FIPG, hardware (manifold studs, nuts, et al), air filter, intake, silicon couplers, t-bolts, IC brackets, 3" pipe & elbows to complete DP, fittings, not to mention welding labor. Yep, $2G's easy on the cheap. Mine was close to $4G when you add it ALL up, and I'm not running an expensive turbo.

You're about to get in over your head if your budget is as big of an issue as I think it is, being you're in college.

Stick with twins, IMHO.

EDIT: If this is your daily driver, definitely stick to stock. Trust me on this....

Last edited:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Prettyazznouka said:
How can i make that on stock twins?
Intake, 3" turbo back exhaust, 440cc injectors (if not 550s), walbro, afpr, boost controler, cams, cam gears, front mount and a good piggy back that can control timing and a bulletproof tune.

white1jz90

Mar 5, 2007
Columbia,Md
PHP:
index.cfm

Prettyazznouka

Oct 17, 2007
NYC
foreverpsycotic said:
Intake, 3" turbo back exhaust, 440cc injectors (if not 550s), walbro, afpr, boost controler, cams, cam gears, front mount and a good piggy back that can control timing and a bulletproof tune.

If thats the case... why doesnt everyone go that route? Why does everyone say "the twins are garbage just go single, they cant hold high boost" Honestly... i would keep the twins if i can make decent power out of them. They are pretty good since the swap, no issues really. But if i can hold out till income tax time... :naughty:

I was just on ebay looking up some universal kits to get a idea what would be needed if I pieced things together. Im not sure how to read the turbo specs... i do know a little about some being internally gated, some have 50 trim, 57, ect. How do I read that? What specs should I be looking for? Yes im still learning feeed meee lol

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Prettyazznouka said:
If thats the case... why doesnt everyone go that route? Why does everyone say "the twins are garbage just go single, they cant hold high boost"

Because that's getting pretty close to their limit, they're a pain in the ass tod eal with, and you're wringing the twins neck at that level.

That kind of power can be done easy with a single while giving you a much simpler setup and potential for alot more.

And not everyone says the twins are garbage and they can't hold high boost. They can but they're still relatively unreliably regardless of how much boost you're running.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
white1jz90 said:

Hey I got an easy question for you. With the manifold from driftmotion. How did the 7m downpipes fit. I have a bic divorced ddp right now and I really don't think that I want to get rid of it. Plus if you want to upgrade you can also go to the boss turbos later.

new parts list for the single
manifold from driftmotion $330
boss turbo from HPF $1500 with oil lines
BIC divorced downpipe if you don't have one $450

Well over 400 whp with supporting fuel and management.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Prettyazznouka said:
At what power range does the w58 give out?

I've always heard that they're good for about 300rwhp. I've never owned one though, it's pure hearsay.

Prettyazznouka

Oct 17, 2007
NYC
OneJoeZee said:
Because that's getting pretty close to their limit, they're a pain in the ass tod eal with, and you're wringing the twins neck at that level.

That kind of power can be done easy with a single while giving you a much simpler setup and potential for alot more.

And not everyone says the twins are garbage and they can't hold high boost. They can but they're still relatively unreliably regardless of how much boost you're running.

i c... well then ill see how far i can push the twins.... if i can get around 325 on them ill b happy.. then when they blow ill be forced to go single lol. Its ok if they blow, I have a beater that I can use while the car is down. Ill see what happens

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
gravesdu_99 said:
Hey I got an easy question for you. With the manifold from driftmotion. How did the 7m downpipes fit. I have a bic divorced ddp right now and I really don't think that I want to get rid of it. Plus if you want to upgrade you can also go to the boss turbos later.

new parts list for the single
manifold from driftmotion $330
boss turbo from HPF $1500 with oil lines
BIC divorced downpipe if you don't have one $450

Well over 400 whp with supporting fuel and management.

IIRC Aaron posted earlier that you would not be able to run anything bigger than a modified ct26. There is simply not enough room for a BOSS, JT or 20g bolt-on.

Prettyazznouka

Oct 17, 2007
NYC
Ok... just did a lil reading. Would this be a good start?

1. Upgrade Cams(do i need cam gears also?)
2. FMIC
3. 440's (necessary with stock twins?)
4. Finish 3" Catback with 3" mufflers
5. Boost controller (go up to 14-18psi)
6. SAFCII and tuned

That should be a pretty decent bpu right? am I missing anything?

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
foreverpsycotic said:
IIRC Aaron posted earlier that you would not be able to run anything bigger than a modified ct26. There is simply not enough room for a BOSS, JT or 20g bolt-on.

Is that just with the driftmotion manifold or with any manifold. I was looking that the boss turbos and they are only a 3'' inlet unless you get the gts style.