Digital projector opinion

Who

Supramania Contributor
The company I work for wants to buy a digital projector for laptop presentations. Somehow I've been chosen for assignment. I know nothing about projectors. Price range should be around $500-600 dollars. Here is my pick.

ViewSonic PJ551D 1024 x 768 DLP Projector 2300 ANSI Lumens 2000:1 - Retail

It has good reviews and comes with a free spare projector bulb. The deal almost seems to good. Whats the catch?

Opinions please. Thanks

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Oh and NewEgg is a great company to deal with...I order much of my computer parts through them.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
My self, i have a sharp 20x. It is a few years old now but is all the same as what you are looking at but I think the Lumens is 2400. They are also are in the same price range now.

I still like mine and have no plans for upgrading it ;)

Ninja edit: 2300 lumens, info on it here http://www.projectorcentral.com/sharp_XR-20X_projector.htm

projectorcentral is a great site to do some research.

Also ask figgie, he has the 411 on this type of stuff.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
business projectors. Great light output, not good for anything else :)

For business, most all companies have a business line projector series.

Viewsonic, Infocus, BenQ, Mitsubishi, Sony etc.

How big is the screen and it's gain? Light controlled room (ie make it dark for presentations?). useage is only for spreadsheet/powerpoints?

Who

Supramania Contributor
figgie;1178125 said:
business projectors. Great light output, not good for anything else :)

For business, most all companies have a business line projector series.

Viewsonic, Infocus, BenQ, Mitsubishi, Sony etc.

How big is the screen and it's gain? Light controlled room (ie make it dark for presentations?). useage is only for spreadsheet/powerpoints?

Screen: Size would be about 5 to 6 ft. wide + or -

Gain: Not sure what that means.

Room Lighting: Florescent, or daylight from windows, dark room as well. Rooms would be small conference rooms or waiting rooms. Fifty to Hundred seating capacity. The big Auditorium presentations have Projectors provided by the University or Equipment Manufacturers.

Usage; Powerpoint, spreadsheet presentations from laptops.

Last edited:

Who

Supramania Contributor
Ok the viewsonic it is.

The pull down screen in the conference room is white. If they want to buy a portable screen which gain should I buy. Pearlescent, white or grey? I was doing some research on Google but its hard to figure out. Seems like there are a lot of variables.