Differential question

Josh913

Apr 5, 2005
Charlotte,NC
I was just wondering what some characteristics of a dying/dead differential?

I notice the rear-end doing some craziness sometimes in hard shifts...where it seems to shift a little bit(the rear of the car) and I also posted a while back about my car shifting a little bit sometimes while hitting bumps in the road.

I was just wondering if the differential could cause any of these things to happen. maybe a dumb question but I thought I would ask anyways.

Thanks

Josh

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
clunking or banging, is a sign of the ring & pinion broken, if the pinion bearings are shot, it will make a humming noise, on/off the throttle, and if the carrier bearings on the lsd is shot it will make a growling noise constantly, there are many scenario's if the pinion have no preload, it can cause it to be sloppy thus will clunk, esp when your shifting through gears,

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
lilazni3uoy;921406 said:
clunking or banging, is a sign of the ring & pinion broken, if the pinion bearings are shot, it will make a humming noise, on/off the throttle, and if the carrier bearings on the lsd is shot it will make a growling noise constantly, there are many scenario's if the pinion have no preload, it can cause it to be sloppy thus will clunk, esp when your shifting through gears,

Excellent answer. I've had some clunking going on for a while now. I figured it was the diff but now I know why.

Thanks

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
My diff started going out a few months ago. Also, on mine it only made the clunking noise when I made tight turns but there was no humming when I drove straight..