differences in heads

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
i was wondering what the difference in heads were between the 7mgte and the 7mge. My GTE has bad valve seals so im not driving it but we got an 86.5 non turbo car and i was wondering if i could swap out the heads without any problems. the 86.5 NA has a distributor and my 87 turbo has the coil pac anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
so i could change the heads fairly easily? how hard are the 7m's to time? as long as im only boosting below 10 psi would i get more pwer out of the NA cams or would it be better to just run the turbo cams from the get go?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
SBM713;941515 said:
so i could change the heads fairly easily? how hard are the 7m's to time? as long as im only boosting below 10 psi would i get more pwer out of the NA cams or would it be better to just run the turbo cams from the get go?

N/A cams are considered more torquey while the Turbo Cams give moe peak power.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
would it decrease power on the high side enough to notice or would it be easier to just change it all from one head to another and put it back together. oh and the question about timing it? how hard is it to time the OHC motors??

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Other than minor casting differences, there are 2 major 7M head variants.
And that is in the intake port.
Some have a long divider coming up from the valves,
and the other has no divider.

I think if you look on some of the other Supra forums like possibly supracelica,
you will maybe find the year break-downs on where they appeared over the years.

From what I read, the 'no divider' head is best for peak power & turbo applications,
and the head with the divider makes for better low & midrange power & NA engines.

Then, of course there is the Group-A head (very rare) that had less valve shrouding in the combustion chamber.
This is something people seem to forget about when they are trying to build a killer 7M.
The 7M has a shrouding problem around the intake valve.
By installing big valves this problem gets worse,
since the head of the valve is now closer wall of the combustion chamber.
When I put larger valves in my head, I cut the wall back by 1.5mm.
Then there is the little 'finger' that sticks down between each pair of valves that also interferes with flow into the cylinder.
On the Gr.A head, this has been eliminated, as it was in the later 1J/2J heads.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
16 different casting variations that I know of 17 if you include the Group A heads but George is correct the differences are minor in most.

Agreed 100% on unshrouding larger valves if it isn't done it's a total waste of time and would more than likely flow worse than stock they're that close to the CC wall.

kazeyuki

Dec 25, 2007
Hawaii
Do 7m-ge cams really give more power then the stock 7m-gte cams? i've heard this from some people not too sure if its true.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
From what I've seen, the GE cams shift the power band to the left. You get more low end, but lose on the high end.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
jdub;941867 said:
From what I've seen, the GE cams shift the power band to the left. You get more low end, but lose on the high end.

There was a thread somewhere on here where the guy had a 30 RWHP difference in peak power, but had a more broader powerband. IIRC, the power drops off at around 5000 RPMs for the N/A cams.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's probably a better way to put it...haven't seen an increase in peak that much though (15-20 HP here). Those numbers are close to Dyno variation from day-to-day and the increase in peak is going to depend on the tune (as it would with any cam). I'm not 100% convinced the increase in peak is solely due to the switch to NA cams since the cases I've seen also involved tuning on the Dyno (and other changes). Not saying it's not true, but it's a definite "grey area" as to the benefit. IMO, if you're going to change cams you need to have done a few other things to the motor to justify the swap.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
jdub;941886 said:
That's probably a better way to put it...haven't seen an increase in peak that much though (15-20 HP here). Those numbers are close to Dyno variation from day-to-day and the increase in peak is going to depend on the tune (as it would with any cam). I'm not 100% convinced the increase in peak is solely due to the switch to NA cams since the cases I've seen also involved tuning on the Dyno (and other changes). Not saying it's not true, but it's a definite "grey area" as to the benefit. IMO, if you're going to change cams you need to have done a few other things to the motor to justify the swap.
I believe that's true with any motor, to be able to take advantage of cams you have to have other mods.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Precisely my point...some folks seem to think you can install a 3' downpipe, install a new intake, shim the CT26 and then put on a NA intake cam. Doesn't work that way ;)
Cams are one of the last things you want to do with a head to get that remaining flow through the motor...and a NA cam is not exactly what I would call the 1st choice to do that.

Clifton

Apr 5, 2005
Scottsdale, Az
N/A cams have more duration. More duration will make more power. Where the peak happens can be changed by changing the cam timing.

applesauce

Banned Scammer
Aug 24, 2006
Virginia
So instead of changing the cams can you just swap the Turbo Head with an NA Head? Then you could just do some of the other mods that are listed above, like remove the shrouding...