Difference between Long and Short-Block

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
I am think of purchasing a short block with the lower block complete. Can I put a long block Head on a short block or do I need short block head? What are all the same parts or different parts do I need if I am changing from a long block to a short block?

Thanks

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
HAha. Okay. All short and long block means is what comes with the engine. Generally a short block is just the block and maybe the stuff inside (?) . Long block is the engine and head. I think.. haha.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
:rofl:

Usually a short block is just the block and pistons, maybe the head yatta yatta. When people say long block they usually rfer to a complete engine, or at least an engine with the head on.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
as usual Boris is correct. Short block has internals and long block has head and everything else unless noted otherwise.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
BorHor;892873 said:
HAha. Okay. All short and long block means is what comes with the engine. Generally a short block is just the block and maybe the stuff inside (?) . Long block is the engine and head. I think.. haha.

A block w/ no internals is a "bare block" :biglaugh:

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
suprahero;892877 said:
as usual Boris is correct. Short block has internals and long block has head and everything else unless noted otherwise.

agreed but i usually quote short block with the head. maybe im just generous :) long block is (in my mind) a nearly ready to drop in motor (manifolds attached and all)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'm with MKIIINA - technically, a long block is JUST the shortblock + the head(s).

I call a longblock, the shortblock + head(s) + tins (valve cover(s), oil pan, timing cover(s)) - basically everything minus 'accessories': Altenator, power steering pump, a/c, etc

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
yes - short blok is usually block, pistons, rods.

Long block - short block + head + oil pump + oil pan

Engine Assembly - long block + intake, exhaust, pullies, turbo, ect. like you find on e-bay

Complete engine - should be everything right down to the wire harness.