Difference 1jz and 2jz headgasket *pics*

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
I am in the process of building up my 1.5jz again. (I had some piston and head damage due to a broken nose from a plug)
As I was about to put the head back on I thought it would be nice to take some pics of my old 2jz hg and the new 1jz hg. (FYI, the 2jz headgasket is only 1 year old, it is not the original one from say 10 years ago.)
Here's a few pics, I took a lot more pics which you can find here.
The black one is the new 1jz hg.
p660513_1.jpg

p660513_2.jpg

p660513_3.jpg

p660513_4.jpg

p660513_5.jpg

p660513_6.jpg

p660513_7.jpg

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
The 2JZGTE gasket is better. The 1JZGTE gasket blocks off factory water passages where the 2JZGTE one lets them flow.

I guess thats why since I've gone 2JZGTE gasket my 1JZGTE has run considerbly cooler water temps.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
When i put a new headgasket in, I was told by Rudy to run a 2jzgte headgasket for reasons I forgot he said, but i guess this is why.

I'm sure toyota had their reasons to not cool part of the head, but it sure seems like they took that back with the 2jzgte.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
Ric said:
When i put a new headgasket in, I was told by Rudy to run a 2jzgte headgasket for reasons I forgot he said, but i guess this is why.

I'm sure toyota had their reasons to not cool part of the head, but it sure seems like they took that back with the 2jzgte.

If you look at the 1jz head gasket, it looks like fits the 1jz head way better. Most of the holes are bigger than the 2j gasket holes, and having your cylinders running too cool is not a always a good thing. You said in a previous post that you never have to use your electric fans even at stops, thats not good, your probably not running at full operating temp and you are hurting you engine running it too cool. I bet the 1jz head gasket was also designed to feed more oil to the head providing more lubrication for the higher rpm range than the 2jz runs. just a thought.

also, why didn't you circle cylinders 1,2, & 6 where the 1jz gasket has way more holes than the 2jz?

Last edited:

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
Ric said:

They have different heads, Toyota didn't "take it back" or "fix" anything. The gasket was re-designed for a DIFFERENT head.

Just because water/oil enters the head at a specific location does not neccessarily mean it is only used in that location. The head distributes these liquids throughout itself as designed by the fleet of Toyota/Yamaha engineers.

Better cooling??? The thermostat/radiator/and fan(s) are mainly in charge of that, not how the water flows though the head. You would have to take temperatures from many different areas of the head with both gaskets to say that.

As mentioned above, cooler is not always better... and you're messing with things which many engineers (whom have intimate knowledge of how the internals of the head flow) have already designed -no doubt better than a backyard mechanic could re-design.

Adding/subtracting/modifying/moving these holes without knowing exactly what it's doing inside the head is risky business if you ask me. I would stick with the gasket that belongs with the head.

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
At WOT on a dyno, it would make little difference whether there is a thermostat in or not, if the engine is already warm, the t-stat would be wide open anyway. It is there to help warm the car up and keep it warm when the thermal load is low.

Metals expand and contract with heat, and tolerances for engine internals are based on the parts being a certain temperature. Running the engine cooler than designed may net you some HP in some cases, but it will be at the expense of accelerated component wear.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
2JZGTE hands down.

It's proven to cool better, not cause random detonation, and costs the same price.

All the 500+whp engines you'll ever see have 2JZGTE headgaskets. Every 1JZGTE shop I've talked to reccomends it.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:
2JZGTE hands down.

It's proven to cool better, not cause random detonation, and costs the same price.

All the 500+whp engines you'll ever see have 2JZGTE headgaskets. Every 1JZGTE shop I've talked to reccomends it.

Links? Source? More unsubstantiated claims?

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
He has no proof, nor any sort of educated response as per usual.
Typical response from ric.
"It's better because I say it is! I am god! I laugh at you!"
Try saying something that will actually benefit someone else here for a change.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
And that is supposed to be enough for me to just take your word for it?

Show me something concrete.

John Doe down the street says 1JZGE gasket is best and he builds 1500hp Supra.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
A major 1JZ shop says to run it. Sorry pal, but you're not going to get a technical datasheet. The proof is in the results that it works with no issues and that it fixes issues that the 1JZGTE headgasket can potentially cause.

The 2JZGTE is a all around better designed motor. Toyota redesigned the gasket cooling holes for that motor. There are alot of other better parts on a 2JZGTE over the 1JZGTE that interchange. This is just one of them.