Dies once hot, will not restart until cold

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Code 14 is no IGf signal. That means the ECU is not seeing confirmation of spark. It will cut fuel when that happens to save the cat.

The IGf is generated by the igniter. I would recommend replacing the igniter as it may have an internal issue either at the board or component level. I know you heated the crap out of it but the internal junctions of the power transistors in the igniter can be running at 125C, way hotter than what you can do with a heat gun on the outside.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Raven97990;1642766 said:
When driving, or idling, after 20-25 minutes, the vehicle looses injector pulse, and vehicle dies. It will not restart without a substantial cooldown. The vehicle has great spark while it will not restart.

This doesn't quite add up. I was going to say if you are sure about the injectors no longer firing, that the igniter is heating up and on its last legs. So if you lose the ignitor, injection is halted. But you wouldn't have spark.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Raven97990;1645174 said:
At this point I think the weather has gotten too cold, or I have somehow fixed the problem.

That sounds like old fashioned vapor lock.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Also, having quickly gone through the thread, if you have code 14, yet you claim to see IGf, then IGf is not making it to the ECU. Or the ECU itself has malfunctioned. A breakout box or harness would be useful.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If the IGf circuit failed, but the rest of the igniter is still working he would have spark, but the ECU would think otherwise and kill the fuel. The only solid clue we have is the code 14, so it must be an IGf issue. Wiring for IGf is a possibility. The ECU fail seems like more of a longshot.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
3p141592654;1651484 said:
If the IGf circuit failed, but the rest of the igniter is still working he would have spark,.

Yeah, that is true. Although I have seen two igniters go south. They were both Corolla's.