Didnt put any fluid in Torque converter!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I have NEVER filled a TC before installation, just makes a mess, I pull the plugs and crank till I have engine oil pressure then once it's running top the trans off as needed.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
^^^ Agreed. Listen to IJ, as he knows what he's talking about!

You DO NOT have to fill a torque converter before installing a tranny. The tranny pump will fill it. Listen to the advice you were already given in this thread, follow the steps given to you; and you'd be driving the car already.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
NO I WOULDNT. iVE DONE EVERYTHING THAT EVERYONE HAS SAID ON HERE.

I didnt mean to yell... lol but i really have.

Its just that i need my car and i dont wanna keep dicking around if nothin is going to work.

Ive been switching gears, back on forth for a while, and it still hasnt grabed at all. How long did it take for your TC to fill up and grab?

The fluid doesnt go down at all. It stays the same level, no matter if the car is on or not.

UGHHH im so frustrated!

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
You obviously havent got a clue, so explaining every little thing takes a while. Chill.

You mentioned when you jack up the rear of the car, you can turn the wheels. Thats because there is a differential in the rear end. Could you turn the driveshaft? (it runs front to back)
But if you cant move the car, its likely stuck in park.

Have someone move the shifter while your under the car. Does this turn something on the side of the trans?

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
dude i know what the hell is under a car... lol
ya the drive shaft turns when i spin the wheels, obviously it would if its connected. The diff works fine.

and ya the shift linkage is connected and moves back and forth fine.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
mk3-4-me;1636050 said:
dude i know what the hell is under a car... lol
ya the drive shaft turns when i spin the wheels, obviously it would if its connected. The diff works fine.

and ya the shift linkage is connected and moves back and forth fine.

I am sure you are frustrated, just a reminder that having any type of attitude (regardless of what is said to you) is not beneficial in getting help.

The description below is not directly related to your real issue, but your above statement, I am not certain that you have a complete understanding of a LSD differential, therefore is perhaps getting in your way of narrowing down issues with your transmission.

See quote below from internet resource - particularly the sentence that is in Bold Italics This may help you understand why your answer is either not complete or inaccurate in regards to whether your turning your rear wheels is actually turning the tranny or are the just spinning about the crown wheel gear ie turning opposite directions while the drive shaft remains in locked (park) position.

The following description of a differential applies to a "traditional" rear-wheel-drive car or truck with an "open" or limited slip differential:

Torque is supplied from the engine, via the transmission, to a drive shaft (British term: 'propeller shaft', commonly and informally abbreviated to 'prop-shaft'), which runs to the final drive unit that contains the differential. A spiral bevel pinion gear takes its drive from the end of the propeller shaft, and is encased within the housing of the final drive unit. This meshes with the large spiral bevel ring gear, known as the crown wheel. The crown wheel and pinion may mesh in hypoid orientation, not shown. The crown wheel gear is attached to the differential carrier or cage, which contains the 'sun' and 'planet' wheels or gears, which are a cluster of four opposed bevel gears in perpendicular plane, so each bevel gear meshes with two neighbours, and rotates counter to the third, that it faces and does not mesh with. The two sun wheel gears are aligned on the same axis as the crown wheel gear, and drive the axle half shafts connected to the vehicle's driven wheels. The other two planet gears are aligned on a perpendicular axis which changes orientation with the ring gear's rotation. In the two figures shown above, only one planet gear (green) is illustrated, however, most automotive applications contain two opposing planet gears. Other differential designs employ different numbers of planet gears, depending on durability requirements. As the differential carrier rotates, the changing axis orientation of the planet gears imparts the motion of the ring gear to the motion of the sun gears by pushing on them rather than turning against them (that is, the same teeth stay in the same mesh or contact position), but because the planet gears are not restricted from turning against each other, within that motion, the sun gears can counter-rotate relative to the ring gear and to each other under the same force (in which case the same teeth do not stay in contact).

Thus, for example, if the car is making a turn to the right, the main crown wheel may make 10 full rotations. During that time, the left wheel will make more rotations because it has further to travel, and the right wheel will make fewer rotations as it has less distance to travel. The sun gears (which drive the axle half-shafts) will rotate in opposite directions relative to the ring gear by, say, 2 full turns each (4 full turns relative to each other), resulting in the left wheel making 12 rotations, and the right wheel making 8 rotations.

The rotation of the crown wheel gear is always the average of the rotations of the side sun gears. This is why, if the driven roadwheels are lifted clear of the ground with the engine off, and the drive shaft is held (say leaving the transmission 'in gear', preventing the ring gear from turning inside the differential), manually rotating one driven roadwheel causes the opposite roadwheel to rotate in the opposite direction by the same amount.

When the vehicle is traveling in a straight line, there will be no differential movement of the planetary system of gears other than the minute movements necessary to compensate for slight differences in wheel diameter, undulations in the road (which make for a longer or shorter wheel path), etc.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

mk3-4-me;1636078 said:
theres no special way i have to put the TC on is there? like if i have to line something up?

Not exactly directly speaking of the TC, but did you verify the concern in this statement >>>
IJ.;1631272 said:
Only other thing I can think of is a broken pump in the front of the Trans, this happens when you don't align all 3 sets of splines before bolting the Trans to the Engine...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mk3-4-me;1636078 said:
theres no special way i have to put the TC on is there? like if i have to line something up?

IJ.;1631272 said:
Only other thing I can think of is a broken pump in the front of the Trans, this happens when you don't align all 3 sets of splines before bolting the Trans to the Engine...

Do you bother to actually read anything I've posted?

Seriously drop the attitude, I'm at the point that I've given up trying to help you..

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
ya i bother reading what you say.

And dude, i wasnt even talking to you with an attitude. Thanks for all your help, but i dont think i had an attitude at all.

Its just that when someone is explaining what connects the tranny to the LSD, that a differential is in the back or that something is supposed to move on the side of the tranny when i shift the shifter, im gunna let them know that i know what that all is... lol
just so that you guys can technical if its needed.... lol

But ya i do read what all of you write.

Im pretty sure i put the TC in all the way, made sure it clicked all the way back.

But thats the only thing it could be is the pump, cause no matter what, the fluid stays the same level.

But unless theres any other new info on this, thanks everyone for the input.

Looks like im pulling it out again.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
IJ.;1631285 said:
a simple "test" would be for him to put the shifter in N and try and push the car forwards/backwards if it's NOT shifting it won't budge an inch...

mk3-4-me;1634961 said:
its doesnt move... so like i said it doesnt shift... lol

mk3-4-me;1635151 said:
well it does move into nuetral.

One step forward three steps back.
So is it stuck in park, or can you get it into neutral? That should be a simple question, and it cant be stuck in both.
Its about time to listen to your buddy that told you the issue was the lack of fluid in the converter...

Last edited:

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
even if theres no fluid in the torque converter the pump is still moving as long as the engine is running. you need to rev it and move it between each gear every 30 seconds. Are you sure the driveshaft is hooked up? if it will not prime you didnt put the splines correctly or forgot your flexplate bolts.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Not trying to be funny or anything, but if the car is jacked up, and you lay under it and grab the transmission linkage and hold it, and have somebody move the shifter inside the car, does the linkage move with it? If the nut and bolt are not tight the shifter will move fine, but wont move the internals to put it into gear.

It's happened to me before , and I got half way pulling the trans until I saw what had happened. I felt like a complete jackass. I tightened it up and was golden from then on. Just my .02 cents. Good luck either way

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I checked and its all tightened and everythin... thanks though...

Im pullin it out on monday.... i just hope i didnt fuk anything by not putting the TC on all the way.... Thats the only thing that makes sense....

cause my fluid doest go anywhere... it just sits there... so it must not be all the way on or something...