did i just melt my cold start injector?

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
was trying to test it, thinking that it would make a click noise if it was healthy, like most any solenoid.

hooked it up to an old car battery I have that gives about 9.6 volts according to my meter. it didnt do anything. so then i hooked it up to my daily driver battery, and sure enough, it clicked. i left the leads attached for about 10 seconds so that I could give the inside a little blow-through with compressed air. after that 10 seconds i noticed the injector got very warm. i let it cool down, and then tried just tapping the positive lead to the post on the injector, and it still clicks. so hopefully it isnt nuked, but im not sure how to tell.

is this not a proper way to test these type of things? I've been using the low-voltage car battery to test other solenoids (VSVs, fuel injectors, etc). i figure they are made for a 12 volt circuit, but maybe there is some kind of capacitor or maybe even the ECU controls the amperage delivered to these things. maybe they arent supposed to take a direct shot of juice from the battery?

dunno, wanted to check in with you guys. electrical is yet a mystery to me.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ever used a power probe? Does basically the same thing but a lot easier.

Also that's all the Ecu does but for how long not sure. And when it's on the car it also has fuel and pressure going through it.

I'd use it. Worst case scenario is that you replace it. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
just googled power probes. they seem expensive. ;)

i'll throw it on. if it has failed, how will i know? hard starts? rough idle when cold?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Wong effect idle. It's for cold start. Might have longer than normal cranking time depending on outside temp.

My power probe was a little over 100$ off amazon. Very useful tool for electronics.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
+1 on the power probe. There are two kits. One comes with different adapters. Get the cheaper kit, same company but works for everything you will need.