Diabetes?

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Hopefully I can get some info from some of you guys on this. Lastnight my girlfriend noticed my breath just REEKED of acetone. She said it was like sniffing a bottle of nail polish remover, it hurt her lungs just to smell my breath. I was also feeling very dizzy and nauseated, and am not going to work today because of how awful I feel. I have been doing some digging up on this and apparently strong smelling acetone breath, dizziness and nausea are all early symtoms of diabetes. Strong acetone in the breath being a main one, because obviously people are dizzing now and then, doesnt necessarily mean anything. Should I take the precaution of going to a doctor to get this checked out? I just dont feel the same lately.

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
Yes, by all means get it checked out. Unregulated diabetes can be a bad business. I would go now, get to the emergency room and tell them what you have posted.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
seriosly man, go to the doctor. My Uncle had the same symptoms and didn't go to a doctor. He blacked out, and we had to call an ambulance to bring him to the hospital.

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
i dug this up too: Other early symptoms of diabetes include:

excessive thirst and hunger (particularly after meals) - a little bit

frequent urination- no

weight loss or gain for no apparent reason- i have gained 15 pounds in the past month and im eating healthier and working out more than before.

fatigue- i get off work and am finding myself sleeping for 10-12 hours each day and waking up exhausted still

muscle cramps- no

impaired or blurred vision- slightly, i have noticed it a bit

numbness or tingling of hands or feet- I have to constantly ask my girlfriend to scratch my hands to get feeling back into them

itching in genital area- hah.....right now, and excessively

poorly healing wounds- I have a bite on my arm, i already went to see a doctor about it, its been there for 5 months now. Also recently i have suffered cuts and it took upwards of a month just to heal a simple cut shut.

mental confusion or coma- negative

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
DIabeties is SEROUIS shit

you can lose limbs and body failure if you dont take care of it.

body dosent produce enough insilin.

if he/she didnt have it from birth.

it'll be type 2, which normally is due to weight issues.

my dad has Diabeties. gotta poke yourself like 8 times a day.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
being a fat ass, of course i'm diabetic

yeah, go get it checked out, doc will do what's called a1c you will have to fast for 12 hours, no eating, drinking or smoking

it will give him a baseline, it is a reflection of how your sugar has been doing for the last 3 months

it's really simple, if your fasting glucose level is over 127, you win!

he will prolly put you on something like metaformin for a couple of months, and try it again...how it goes from there depends on how you do

get ready for a severe change in lifestyle, a1c every quarter, glucose check at least 3x a day, some pills, and a big change in diet....not unlike atkins actually,

get ready to spend some money, esp if youo don't have damn good insurance.
a1c are 3-400, glucose monitor can be as little as 25, as hhigh as a couple hundred, and the strips i use are a buck apiece, so about 100 bucks a month, some ins co's cover this stuff, some don't(it's kinna shitty of them really)

if you caught it early enough, a diet change will be all that is required, i have to take no pills or anything like that, just check my shit out everyday

i was lucky, i had no symptoms, i had passed my dot physical a few months prior, then failed a life insuranse physical in spectacular fashion,

regardless, go get it checked out...now

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
he ain't gonna keelover and die tonight/this morning,it'll keep untill monday, but no later. when you hear about guys passing out, its hypoglacimia, that comes from either type 1 diabetes, or from crashing on the meds for type 2, no meds, no pass out. if he was type one he would know about it already

but let it go long time, you could go blind, your dick won't work, your kidneys blow out, your hands and feet don't heal(btw this is where amputations comefrom, wounds that don't heal)

it's a great life, no beer, cant eat much sweets, no beer, breads, no beer, a lot of fruits, beer, some veggies, beer

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
MKIII N00b said:
uhm its smarter to go straight to the doctor...dont ask us just go, we arent registered nor have PHD's just go for the sake of all of us.

I've got a DVM, (9 years at LSU...Geaux Tigers!!!) Tell the doctor(that you should be seeing today) a veterinarian sent you.

Last edited:

Solid Soup

Solid like soup sandwich
Mar 10, 2006
B.C. Canada
Just as an aside, are you dieting with high protein and little to no carbs? That would also cause the sweet acetone breath too. And that atkins sstyle of diet can make you feel $hitty too. Just a thought. Go see your do and good luck with it!