Determing which turbo to get

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I am currently in the market for a turbo. I have the stock CT26, and am considering CT26 with 57 and 60 trim. Why does the 60 trim have a reputation for being unreliable? I am also very interested in bolt on turbos, but I can't seem to find much information on them. My friend had a 57 and has upgraded to a holset. I've got a little bit of a feel for those. I'm aiming for 350-400hpw, the power band is not a big issue, just don't want to lag too much but I don't that will be an issue with my goals. My budget is pretty flexible, but I will try to save money if it's possible.

What do you think I should be looking at and does anybody have any information on non CT boltons? Thanks in advance.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Check the Misc. Vendors section on here, Albert makes some pretty nice CT upgrades. ;)

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
89gte;1762156 said:
I am currently in the market for a turbo. I have the stock CT26, and am considering CT26 with 57 and 60 trim. Why does the 60 trim have a reputation for being unreliable? I am also very interested in bolt on turbos, but I can't seem to find much information on them. My friend had a 57 and has upgraded to a holset. I've got a little bit of a feel for those. I'm aiming for 350-400hpw, the power band is not a big issue, just don't want to lag too much but I don't that will be an issue with my goals. My budget is pretty flexible, but I will try to save money if it's possible.

What do you think I should be looking at and does anybody have any information on non CT boltons? Thanks in advance.

its a misconception. The 60-1 has the bad reputation. not the 60 trim. 60trim and 60-1 and 2 different turbos. They say alot of things are bad about a bigger wheel in a smaller housing. one of them being that the shaft cant handle it and it snaps. This is a myth IMO. The physical characteristics of the ct26 turbine shaft is bigger than a garret p-trim shaft, and shroter. so Win Win there.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Go holset and open wastegate.

They can be rebuilt for like 2-300$. Manifolds are cheap then just get lines dp. Intake is cheap and precision wastegates are fairly.

Of course would need some sort of tuning. And fueling.