Detailing a 1990 White Supra

stakie

May 7, 2005
Neptune, NJ
What kind of wax etc do you use to keep your white supra nice and shiny white?

I've used Mothers Phase II for black paint on my 240sx, but now I'm in the process of buffing my White supra. I've tried the Mothers onthe white in one area, and i'm dissapointed. For the "white supra owners", what do you use to keep your supra looking really nice/shiny/showroom look?

Let me know what you have used and you're happy.

Thanks.
Gregory

Z

ztosupra

not quite sure of the name, but i've heard of some stuff called zaino (sp?). from what i've been told, it takes off one layer of clear coat, as cars from the factory have 4 coats i believe. basically, it will take care of ANY imperfections on the very surcface of the paint. its pretty expensive though i believe. about $100 i think

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i go ok i usualy have my paintor/detailist somtimes give it a once over but for driveway waxing i use Zymol car wax cleaner, it stays on for good long whiles, then from there the meguires step 2 polish, and if you still have an elbow left on you the step 3 carnabau wax. i have the white package so i cover down to the wheels. it works wonders and looks great.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
hello gregory-
dave in ky here, havent spoke to you in a long time, glad to see you are still around. last i heard from you was trying to get your car back from damon, hope you got all that sorted out.
white isnt clear coated so it will take some work to get it shiny. not sure of what the condition your paint is. here is what i do:

clay bar cleaning to get out most everything in the paint (once every spring)
product_g11.gif

then i use 3m professional fine cut cleaner
everythingautomotive_1842_26626321

follow that up with 3m professional glaze
everythingautomotive_1842_7027252

then finally wax.
i like pinnacle
everythingautomotive_1847_12838695

griots garage best of show
11171_LG.jpg

3m pro
everythingautomotive_1842_6808797

the clay bar and fine cut i just do once a year. the polish and wax i do every couple months.

zaino is really nice stuff too, but you have to use mulitple steps of their own product and their starter kit alone is $120.

hope this helps :)

dave

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Well I used to be obsessed with gloss on my bike. I wanted to have the shiniest paint out there. My obsession lead me to become a custom painter too. I will post a job I am doing in the OT section if people wish to see it.

To get the finish glossy, 3M Foam Pad Polishing Glaze & a $275 DeWalt buffer is what I use.

After a job I wet sand with 2000 grit and then use the stuff I mentioned.

I have also used my stuff on older paint as well with good results, but mosty my experience is with new paint. 3M is top stuff in my book!

Can I show you the shine on the white/blue/red job of mine?!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Well, if that is what you are looking for in shine, 3M is what I have found & I have tried other combos but the one I gave you has worked the best for me.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
looks nice tony!
white sure is hard to make look nice, esp non clear coated. the 3m stuff you use the same as i listed above or a diff line?

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
dbsupra90 said:
looks nice tony!
white sure is hard to make look nice, esp non clear coated. the 3m stuff you use the same as i listed above or a diff line?
heh Thanks dbsupra90.
The stuff I use is 3M Perfect-It Foam Polishing Pad Glaze. I bought it in a quart bottle (not sure if they sell it smaller). PART NO 051131-05995 (that is also the upc number).

The glaze stuff you mentioned is the hand glaze. I also have that in 3M but again in a 32 quart bottle & somehow the bottle looks nothing like that container--maybe a different line?

I tried Race Glaze (comes in a white bottle) = crap
For me, I just stick to what has given me what I want, but like I said, I deal with new finishes more than I deal with old finishes.
Old finishes may require additional steps before the glaze as you mentioned.