defective mishimoto radiator

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I bought a mishimoto radiator (Mishimoto (86-92) Supra MK3 Aluminum Radiators - Manual) from horsepowerfreaks.com on 8/15/09 and didn't try to install it until two days ago and ran into multiple problems:

This is as close as I can get the stock shroud to the threads, and that's after taking the two ruber things off the bottom:
p1403557_1.jpg

p1403557_2.jpg

p1403557_3.jpg

Also notice that the shroud is over half an inch longer than the radiator (on the left in the first pic).

I tried to see how the rad would fit in the engine bay, just to see if maybe it's worth modding:
p1403557_4.jpg

It doesn't go all the way down...
p1403557_5.jpg

... because when you get one side to match the rad support...
p1403557_6.jpg

... the other side doesn't line up. I compared it to the stock rad:
p1403557_7.jpg

Another thing, the shroud sits like 1/4" off the rad in some places when placed on top of the rad like in the first pic, I don't have a pic of this though.

From Mishimoto's site; the mkiii supra page (http://www.mishimoto.com/toyota-supra-performance-aluminum-radiator-86-92.html): "(...)Every Mishimoto aluminum radiator is a direct OEM fit, making installation effortless with no cutting or modification required(...)"

So when I make my warranty claim, should I ask for a replacement because this is a 1:1000 manufacturing defect, or should I ask for my money back because mishimoto rads suck? I'm leaning towards the latter since it says made in china on the box, and because I'm thinking that maybe I don't need an upgrade since it's going to be a daily driver in the bay area, going WOT to ~10 psi to impress a passenger every once in a while.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've seen Mishi's that fit much better than that. And a replacement is going to be *much* easier to get.

I'd go for the replacement, and if you have problems with the next one, fall back to the refund.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
CONTACT Mishimoto.

They'll fix this.

Seems like a defect.

But you have to cut about 1/4" off of the lower supports. and a little off of the upper mounts.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
I run the mishi no issue here, I did receive the first one damaged but that was taken care of by the vendor. Both did not have the bottom fitment issue but I did not ever try the stock shroud but rather built a custom aluminum one. I would go for replacement as well if I were you they seem to be fairly good with this. O you will also find that the rad cap will touch the stock hood mat and wear it shiny over time.

HTH,
Seth

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
tissimo;1403658 said:
Its made by a 3 year old in china, what do you expect?

lol my thought exactly

Enraged;1403707 said:
make sure the vendor covers shipping.

"All products returned for warranty consideration must be returned to MP with all transportation expenses prepaid." That's what it says on the warranty paper that came with the radiator. Unless you mean HPF, but they have a 30-day policy and a 25% restocking fee. But yea, I'm definitely demanding that all my expenses be taken care of, it's their fault for outsourcing

Zumtizzle;1403828 said:
CONTACT Mishimoto.

They'll fix this.

Seems like a defect.

But you have to cut about 1/4" off of the lower supports. and a little off of the upper mounts.

Doesn't sound very "OEM fit" to me, but for the price I'm willing to do that.

sethron71;1403831 said:
I run the mishi no issue here, I did receive the first one damaged but that was taken care of by the vendor. Both did not have the bottom fitment issue but I did not ever try the stock shroud but rather built a custom aluminum one. I would go for replacement as well if I were you they seem to be fairly good with this. O you will also find that the rad cap will touch the stock hood mat and wear it shiny over time.

HTH,
Seth

When you say "taken care of", do you mean that you didn't pay anymore than what you paid to get the first one?

Zumtizzle;1403854 said:
Do not use the cap that came with it!

How come? And which should I use?

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Yes that is correct the vendor took care of the shipping for me and actually I did not send it back to Mishi but rather the vendor and they send me a new one and then were taking care of everything for me.

HTH,
Seth

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My PWR as received was about the same.... missing mounts misaligned mounts and just wrong, instead of pissing and moaning on a forum I contacted them took pics did a couple of tech drawings and sent it and a stock rad back so they could correct it at their end.

Might be worth a try in this case?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
livinasask8er;1403870 said:
Doesn't sound very "OEM fit" to me, but for the price I'm willing to do that.

Okay Mister OEM Fit. You have to do that with the Koyo as well. Which this rad is a copy of.

How come? And which should I use?

If you want to replace your weakest hose, or Heater core keep that high pressure cap. Use a stock 87 or 89 Rad Cap. Go to Kragen and ask for both and figure out which one it is and return it. I forget the exact one.

Any other common sense questions?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
IJ.;1403918 said:
My PWR as received was about the same.... missing mounts misaligned mounts and just wrong, instead of pissing and moaning on a forum I contacted them took pics did a couple of tech drawings and sent it and a stock rad back so they could correct it at their end.

Might be worth a try in this case?

Been said and done. This rad is just a mistake, probably just a problem with quality control.

I spoke with mishimoto and they got a hold of an Employees MA70 Supra and made changes to the Rad, and heater hoses.