Deciding on what to do. Suggestions?

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
Well I have decided that I want to do away with this engine that currently has 170k on the clock and start fresh.

I got a quote for 3500 for stock rebuilt 7mgte and installation into my car. I like that it would keep the same engine that was meant for my car but the bads about that engine is the parts will eventually I think within 5 or so years become extremely rare or non existant to find.

For 3500 and maybe a little more savings I could throw a 1jz in there and not have the problems of the BHG for the 7m BUT I'm not too confident with exactly how much aftermarket support the 1jz has. I have found out that some shops won't even touch a 1jz.

On the other hand there is the 2jz. I mean hey if I saved up 3500 bucks I might as well save up more and get a 2jz thing going for my car. I like the potential power these engines can handle and with not much supporting mods. The cost however of everything needed and install is crazy though and would talke A LOT of patience and the car sitting, not to mention getting everything in the car compatable with the engine as well.

As you can see I'm having a hard time deciding. Any suggestions?

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
1j, it isn't that hard to swap in and they were originally in this car, just not shipped outside japan ;-)
There's plenty of aftermarket support for it and capable of at least 700rwhp on stock internals.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
If you plan on making serious power on a 1g-gte you'll know the word "custom" very well. The 1jz sounds like he best choice, yes they are getting more popular, but so are 7m's and soon to be 2jz's so being "different" shouldn't a concern on the actual engine but the things you do to it. If your not doing your own work I wouldn't do a 2jz it will be like 2x the cost of your car.

I suggest the 1jz swap and if your in Tampa check in with Driven Concepts, there is plenty of aftermarket for the 1jz and it is gonna be a lot more reliable than the 7m. I only suggest building a FORGED 7m if you want to stick with it.

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Yea if I was going to stick with the 7m then I was definately going to go with forged internals and make sure the engine can withstand the power.

The 2jz seems too costly so it's between the 7m and the 1jz. I have plenty of time to decide since I'll be saving up for a couple of months. Right now I'm back and forth with the 7m and 1jz lol.

Thanks for the tips.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
just another example of hearsay becoming bad information, the 7M doesn't have head gasket or oil pressure issues. the issue with the 7M is the owners. rebuild the 7M, put forged pistons in it and you'll have a motor that will Handel most anything you throw at it power wise. parts are not going to become unavailable due to how many are in existence.

With the 7m you have aftermarket support, ease of install because you wont have to swap harnesses and this and that, displacement to make good power.

Not to mention youll actually make over 200ftlbs with a 7m. :biglaugh:

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Those are very good points you make. If I went with the 7m it would be forged pistons, forged rods, MHG, ARP throughout. I think then I wouldn't have many problems with the engine and be comfortable with it.

This car is making me nervous as a puppy with all the stuff that I read about the problems and the age but I absolutely love this car for the little time that I've had it. I like it more than my Integra I used to have for 4 years.

Well it is time to start saving. I'm going to try to save up about 7,000 to just dump into the car all at once.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
to swap in a 2jz and convert it to single... it would cost around $6.5k... the turbo you go with will make a big difference in the price. or stick with the twins and save some money. it cost me a little over $6k to do my swap with a single. it was so powerful, it didn't really need anymore mods.

this time around i'm keeping it twin. so maybe around 4k to do it.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
crazysupra2JZ said:
to swap in a 2jz and convert it to single... it would cost around $6.5k... the turbo you go with will make a big difference in the price. or stick with the twins and save some money. it cost me a little over $6k to do my swap with a single. it was so powerful, it didn't really need anymore mods.

this time around i'm keeping it twin. so maybe around 4k to do it.

4k with you doing all the labor of course right?

also with auto tranny right?
r154 swap onto 2JZ will cost another good 1.5k-2k

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
1jz swap with r154, one piece driveshaft, FMIC, custom extended harness (935 motorsports, or pm Dr tweak) and you'll be more than happy...

and then a big single if you want, with a piggyback or standalone

Last edited by a moderator:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
hmm.....spend 7 thousand to swap a stock USED 1j in with a single turbo and some mods, or spend 7k on a 7m and have a brand new fully forged 7m with single, stand alone engine management with pleanty of tuning time, making more power more reliably with more torque and less work........ yea go 1j.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
nosechunks said:
hmm.....spend 7 thousand to swap a stock USED 1j in with a single turbo and some mods, or spend 7k on a 7m and have a brand new fully forged 7m with single, stand alone engine management with pleanty of tuning time, making more power more reliably with more torque and less work........ yea go 1j.
I pitty the fool who pays 7k for a 1j swap.. you can buy whole swapped cars for that much

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
88mkIIIproject said:
1jz swap with r154, one piece driveshaft, FMIC, custom extended harness (935 motorsports, or pm Dr tweak) and you'll be more than happy...

Well no matter what engine I go with, I already got an r154 tranny here with 60k miles waiting for me to get all the parts needed for the auto to 5 speed swap. I was actually going to have that rebuilt as well. I don't want used parts going onto this car for the most part. I'm going to start fresh and give the car new life that it deserves. Needless to say I'm going to spend some well earned big bucks on this. :icon_bigg

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Skam, look in Ocala for JDMAddiction - Pick up a 2JZ-GTE/Automatic combo for $2400 ($5900 if you want the 6 speed with it) (also, if you look on ebay, I think he's actually selling them for closer to $2200) and spend the $350 on a 1JZ bellhousing.

For $2550, bolt your r154 to the 2JZ, and spend the extra $1000 putting it into your car.

Don't bother to build a 7M unless you KNOW what you are doing, imho.