Deciding on sizing of Wastegate

partyboy25

Nov 1, 2009
Jacksonville, NC
Working on getting everything together to go single, but am having a hard time figuring out what size wastegate to get. I will be using a Holset HE341 (aka newer HY35) and want to be able to start with a ~10 psi spring. Of course, money is a factor. So, I was thinking of getting a Tial 38mm, but I am worried that this may not be large enough to keep the boost at 10 psi. Anyone with knowledge or experience on this, please set forward :)

Thanks!

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
^ why would you reccomend looking at a larger turbo when he's not concerned about that? I don't know what you have, but I think you need a t88. It'd be better than the crap you're working with now.

Partyboy: if you google holset wastegate you should come up with some good info. There are lots of people that say they can hold what you're looking for with just porting the internal on it and running a different actuator. Look into it before you pull the trigger on an external if money is a concern.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
... because if he ever upgrades, that wastegate may not provide what he needs.

why would you recommend porting the internal wastegate when he's not concerned with that? he made no mention of money being a concern.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
Read it again Dylan, he says money is a factor. That's why I reccomended what I did. Plus if he decides to upgrade and sell the holset it gives the next person the option to run as is or weld the wg shut, twice the market for a sale down the road.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Vrank!!!;1620290 said:
Read it again Dylan, he says money is a factor. That's why I reccomended what I did. Plus if he decides to upgrade and sell the holset it gives the next person the option to run as is or weld the wg shut, twice the market for a sale down the road.

you're correct, I re-read and missed the part where he mentioned funds.. so I'll recant on that side of the issue.

still, he was considering the 38mm, and that should be a good setup for this turbo, or if he decides to go to a bigger turbo in the future.

plus, an external is easier to access, and he could always sell it if need be..

partyboy25

Nov 1, 2009
Jacksonville, NC
Thanks for the info. I have already welded the wastegate closed on the turbo, so a external is a must. Just needed to figure out if a 38mm was going to be large enough or not.