dead spot in throttle upon very light pressure.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
hey all,

There is a 'dead spot' in my throttle at a very specific position- the position that revs the engine to around 2000 rpm under no load. i can directly move the throttle lever on the throttle body to this position, or i can do it with my gas pedal. It's pretty much the 'sweet spot' for double clutching and maintaining speed in basically every gear. which makes it a total pain in the ass to drive. The car runs perfectly otherwise.

Not too long ago, i replaced my tps with a new one. When i adjusted it, i tried to turn it into the very most counter-clockwise position that i could while it still got a reading on the multimeter (using a .7 mil feeler in the TB.) This was about six months ago. The problem of 'letting off the gas after hard throttle and car wanting to die' was solved.

However, shortly afterward, i began to notice the problem i'm experiencing now. The car 'hiccups' and stutters when slowly accelerating and maintaining a constant speed. Solid aluminum mounts make this problem pretty serious while driving. i'm worried about my clutch/ flywheel/ drive shaft/ pumpkin getting fucked up because of the terrible shock that goes through the drive train every time the car stutters.

Initially, I thought there was no way it was the TPS since i had just installed a new one and calibrated it, so i checked for boost and vacuum leaks, threw in a new O2 sensor, some new plugs, tested my wires, replaced the coil pack ground, wired in a new AFM connector, and reconnected my exhaust, all to no avail. (although, the car is running SUPER nice now OTHER than this problem haha)

yesterday, i readjusted it just to make sure it was in the correct position. problem still happens.. but today is when i finally realized what my symptom actually, specifically is- the very small 'dead spot'.. meaning when the throttle lever is held at a certain place, the rpm drops and surges repeatedly until the throttle position it changed in either direction.

So it pretty much HAS to be the tps, right? a specific "throttle position" causing problems points directly to the "throttle position sensor", no? No codes. Cleared codes, started car. No codes. Not throwing codes. WTF?

After searching for a thread that detailed a solution to my problem, i found this:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...sting-dead-spot.&highlight=dead+spot+throttle

the OP seemed to have been experiencing the same problem i am, though there isnt any clear solution presented in the thread. I also found a couple more threads with similar problems but no definite solution.

Advice anyone? anyone got more detail on resistance tolerances for calibrating the tps? how many ohms you were getting when you tightened yours down? someone down to go pop the connector off and test their sensor while its still tight?

This really sucks. I'm supposed to drive this car from Louisville KY to Cleveland next week, after which it's going to be my DD.

Thanks,

Aaron

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I am having the same problem after replacing my TPS. I still have been unable to calibrate it well enough (if that is the cause) and have not found any solution to my issue as well. I will be watching this thread. I am tempted to have a dealership do the calibration, but I'm pretty certain I know more about it than they do.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
exactly.. plus im pretty sure they wouldnt be willing to work on my car because of modifications.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

ok after tinkering around with it for a while, i also think this may have something to do with the wide array of pivot points and screws that affect the throttle articulation process... it seems like the mechanical system could potentially be maladjusted to the point that the electronic sensor might be unable to operate in the range in which the mechanical throttle assembly is moving.. too far, too close, woo wide, too narrow, too much play, too tight, loose, etc. the tps sends an idl code when the throttle is 0.7mm away from the stop screw, however, the stop screw can be moved a total of about .5"... the idle down spring can be adjusted, and the throttle 'arm' can be adjusted in length. fuck this is a nightmare.

anybody down to take a picture of their functioning throttle body setup so we can see where things are mechanically adjusted to?

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
WELL FUCK.

i didnt fix it. the problem has returned.. i rechecked the damn tps, and i am getting PERFECT readings. 2.288@ .5mm shim in the throttle, 0L with .88mm in the throttle..

rechecked codes. guess what? 41.

this thing is NEW though. maybe defective? otherwise, it must be wiring somewhere right? im gonna check voltage/ resistance at the end of the harness and the ecu..

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?? pretty desperate at this point.:3d_frown:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
2.288 ohms or Kohms? And why would you be messing with the IDL contact when trying to resolve a 41? Although it's true IDL can cause 41 that particular failure mod is rare. The other two failures (open or shorted VTA) are much more likely...