dead motor possibly

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
ok guy i have a big issue with the damn engine. first of all this morning around 9 ish i tried to start the car up, the engine turned and cranked but wouldn't start (car ran fine yesterday), all of a sudden i hear this loud clunk noise, :3d_frown: sounded like valve hit the piston or metal on metal. well unfortunately the whole car dies like theres no battery in it, gauges went off i mean everything died. so i unplugged the battery and plugged it back on, lights work again tried to start the car up again and same thing happened, died again. tried a different battery same thing again. push start, but seems like the engine was trying to start but nothing. maybe i need a new starter? and if so why does the car literally dies when i try to start it. sorry for the long ass explanatory. can anyone help? thanks guys.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
its a non-interference engine so unless something let loose the pistons shouldnt touch the valves

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
yes its probably a seized starter. but could that basically killed the car? nothing let loose so its not the valves. i was positive that our shop forklift sounded like that until we changed the starter. ill check the starter. thanks guys.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
alternator has nothing to do with starting either, so when you tried a different batter it turned over for a bit(how long) and then the loud clunk and all lights, gauges everything died again?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Was ignition in the "ON" position during the push start? IF the battery is good (12Volts or more) there should be only 2 possible problems. One is the starter, and the other is wiring before the starter.

To test it, take both the wiring harness wire and the positive wire off of the starter. Be careful not to touch anything with that loose positive wire. Now, touch the metal connection inside where the harness plug should be with the metal end of the battery cable. If the starter is good, it should fire up. Again, the key should be in the on position, if you want it to start. If nothing happens, your starter is bad. If it starts or cranks, then the starter is good, and you have a wiring problem. This is usually a check for if you get nothing at all from the starter when turning the key. Your problem sounds more like a weak battery. That wouldn't matter if push starting. My guess there would be key in off position.

Have you tried to jump start it with another vehicle?

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
i havent jump started with a different vehicle, damn it! i just took off the alternator before i came here. anyways ill put the alternator back on and jump start it with a different car, one more thing is that ive already tried to put a new battery in it but it did the same thing.

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
dumbo;1147103 said:
alternator has nothing to do with starting either, so when you tried a different batter it turned over for a bit(how long) and then the loud clunk and all lights, gauges everything died again?

after the loud clunk, everything died, took off negative side and everything works again but as soon as i start the ignition, the car dies again (without the clunk niose) , it wont even turn over at all

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
ok guys i jump started the car, nothing happened, it killed the car again. checked the diagnosis and it was 51 which is a switch signal for a/c. dont know if its the a/c cause ac works fine.

51 engine code:

trouble area:
A/C switch circuit A/C switch A/C amplifier Throttle position sensor circuit Throttle position sensor ECU

diagnosis:
No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU during diagnostic check

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
STUPID FAST;1147269 said:
ok guys i jump started the car, nothing happened, it killed the car again. checked the diagnosis and it was 51 which is a switch signal for a/c. dont know if its the a/c cause ac works fine.

51 engine code:

trouble area:
A/C switch circuit A/C switch A/C amplifier Throttle position sensor circuit Throttle position sensor ECU

diagnosis:
No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU during diagnostic check

ok guys i cleaned the battery harness that goes to the starter with some sand papers and the engine starts cranking again but wont start. also whenever it is crank the starter is grinding against the flywheel, this only happens if i crank it for a long time then i let off when the noise come. also the boost gauge is reading some psi when ever the car seems to start working. damn its starting to frustrate me and i really need to find out whats wrong. just to let everyone know that ive learned alot from looking at some of the post here thanks for all of the help guys.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
code 51 also has to do with the TPS. check to make sure it's adjusted per TSRM specs, instructions are in the manual

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
STUPID FAST;1147302 said:
ok guys i cleaned the battery harness that goes to the starter with some sand papers and the engine starts cranking again but wont start. also whenever it is crank the starter is grinding against the flywheel, this only happens if i crank it for a long time then i let off when the noise come. also the boost gauge is reading some psi when ever the car seems to start working. damn its starting to frustrate me and i really need to find out whats wrong. just to let everyone know that ive learned alot from looking at some of the post here thanks for all of the help guys.

if the engine is cranking(and sounds like normal cranking) your starter is prolly fine. how long is "a long time then i let off when the noise come. also the boost gauge is reading some psi when ever the car seems to start working."

start working... i thought it wont start, let alone run and drive properly.

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
cranking and seems like its going to start (exhaust starts to make noise) but then it dies, all i know is that i cleaned my afm with some maf cleaner before all this happened, does that have to do with it? i seriously doubt it. as for the tps i dont have a manual for it, can somebody tell me whats the adjustment for it.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
STUPID FAST;1147870 said:
cranking and seems like its going to start (exhaust starts to make noise) but then it dies, all i know is that i cleaned my afm with some maf cleaner before all this happened, does that have to do with it? i seriously doubt it. as for the tps i dont have a manual for it, can somebody tell me whats the adjustment for it.

did you plug your afm back in?

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
STUPID FAST;1147870 said:
all i know is that i cleaned my afm with some maf cleaner before all this happened, .

Thats your problem!.. Replace the electronics in your afm or swap with a known working one and report back.

It shouldn't have taken 20 post for you to tell us this. If your car starts to act up. Then the first thing you should ask yourself is "what did I screw with last"!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
if you cleaned your afm you prolly messed somthing up with it.. they are VERY touchy and go bad VERY easily... and the problem really sounds like a bad afm