Datsun 240z vs fc rx7 race car?

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Hey guys, I was wondering for SCCA or NASA which car would be more competitive in their possible brackets. I'm looking to start racing once I get a car and set it up. I'm really new to this, but I've always wanted to race. I'd appreciate any tips or thoughts on which car or bracket to start in as it will help me tremendously.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
hvyman;1999050 said:
Rx7 will handle better.
That would be nice. I've also heard that the abs would be good for racing as well as long as I get a brake proportioning valve. Are there any benefits to the 240z i see them running in a lot of scca races

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I don't see one over the fc. Fc has a short whose wheel base and prolly a 50/50 weight ratio with the rotary and is pretty light and a better suspension. Also all kind of availble parts for it.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Sounds like the rx7 is would be a really good car for this then haha. Do you think that it will be competitive as long as its modded to class spec?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I think it would. A good running 13bt and suspension mods with good tires and it should handle like a slightly bigger miata.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hvyman;1999075 said:
I don't see one over the fc. Fc has a short whose wheel base and prolly a 50/50 weight ratio with the rotary and is pretty light and a better suspension. Also all kind of availble parts for it.
This!

As much as I loved my Z it doesn't compare to an FC.

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
Not sure about HPDE or the like but most modded FC's will run in SSM for Solo II/autocross. SSM is a really competitive class, and gets really expensive to be competitive. I'm not sure where to class the 240z, It's E-stock when not modded. Between the two, I would go with the Z. It'll be less expensive to buy parts for and to build. If it were me I wouldn't choose either. Maybe a NA or NB miata or a non turbo SW20. The pignose 240sx would also be a nice choice, if you get the KA24DE in it. I autocross my N/A supra in STX, I drive it hard but it's tons of fun.

If you've never done any kind of sanctioned high performance driving, the first thing you should focus on when setting up a new to you car is making sure all the little things are squared away; such as the maintenance side of the car. Then brakes and tires. Get a nice solid brake setup, maybe some porterfield pads and centric slotted rotors. A sticky set of street tires and lighter wheels will go a long way in feeling what you can and can't do with you're car.

Whichever car or event you choose, have fun. It's easy to get frustrated when at first you see fast guys with fast cars running fast times. All those drivers had to start somewhere. They're were all in your shoes at one point.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
So if I went with the fc is the rotary better turbo or na I've never messed with a rotary, but I'm willing to learn haha. Thanks atlas I'll keep maintenance in mind. I definitely think it'll be fun no matter what I just want to do as well as I can haha.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
240Z's are known for stress cracking the frame if stiff suspension is installed. You'd have to reinforce it. Not to mention the general age of the car means it would likely be in worse condition and need more work.

Rotaries sound like crap NA and are dogs as well.

Honestly, you're better off with a Miata :rofl: Cheap, reliable, cheap parts, easy to work on, cheap to run, have entire racing series based on them, and did I mention cheap?