Data plate help

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I am building my website and trying to include as much information as possible. I am trying to set up a data plate decoding page, deciphering EVERY digit on the data plate.... I am trying to confirm some information about the Supras trim level and information online is pretty vague.

What I need, is the # at the end of the model sequence, before the L and dash on the data plate.

vin.gif

For example my car reads as MA67L. "7" is the trim level, but I want to know what trim level the Mk3 and Mk4 Supras have.

Thanks!

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
*bump*

can someone PLEASE go out to their car and help out? This one stupid digit is holding me up, lol

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I'm wondering if it's the same with JDM mk3s, since there was narrow and widebody yes?

mk2s VIN = MA67
mk2 model = MA61... and is the same for both P and L-type. so it's weird.

I would believe that last digit would denote trim, as the RA64 = celica GT and ra65 = celica GTS but i'm just getting a huge headache trying to research this mess

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
Narrow body's were nearly all "Ga70" as they where fitted with 1G-GTE engines,
But they also made normal body(wide) GA70 supra's with the code "GA70H"

There where some early prefacelift cars the where 7m-gte Narrow body's But I haven't been able to track down any chassis info on them,

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
martin p;1242184 said:

There where some early prefacelift cars the where 7m-gte Narrow body's But I haven't been able to track down any chassis info on them,

Err yeah, I meant all 7M cars came with "MA70." Now that we're talking about all MkIIIs and not just USDM ones, I forgot to specify that :p

Who knows? Maybe having a digi dash even matters.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
martin p;1242184 said:

Yep, it is indicated here that widebodies = H
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/newcodes.htm
^This site explains everything after the dash perfectly, but is too vague on the digit I am looking for

I have already determined that the 7 in the model code is generation of chassis. And yes, since the Supra was born off the Celica chassis, it originates from those original model numbers. MA70 = the 4th incarnation of the celica based chassis

I am waiting for the Celica crowd to get back to me with some info.

Seems that last digit indicates a named trim, like GT or GTS, maybe even SR5? P-type and L-type aren't really indicated anywhere official so I guess that's why it doesn't matter.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Well I think the USDM cars only came in 1, 2 or 4 trims. I have a turbo targa. Someone with a hardtop N/A needs to chime in.

Of course, if something changed with the 89+s when they moved the model badge, this would complicate everything further.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Odd... I don't have a data plate in the engine bay, and looking in some build threads shows that not everyone has em either...

Got a sticker on my doorjam though, lemme get a pic...

(I attached it as I dunno if I want it on photobucket...)

Orion made mention of the change to on the doorjam in 89, which is the year of my car...

Attachments

• IMGP1572.jpg
    IMGP1572.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Tanya;1242220 said:
Bah this is confusing as hell. According to http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/newcodes.htm the 4th digit after the dash = trim level.

so Im still wondering wtf the 4th digit means before the dash. damn Toyota.

edit* you dont have a firewall data plate?? thats not good. doorjam plate isnt going to have this info either, only VIN #

As of 1989, all Toyotas had their firewall badge moved to the door jam. Supposed to have the same info on it.

The build threads that dont have the badge are 89+ chassis'.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
good to know.

i am a newer car newb. heheh

as for the digit I was looking for info on, the Celica guys confirmed my thoughts, so all is well :)