Dashboard (safety pad) removal

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
swaq;1320573 said:
I've been using my breaker bar to loosen a bunch of the 12mm ones. It looks like there's a couple bigger ones around the steering column though that might be hard to reach. Also, the far one on the bottom on the driver's side wall looks like it might be tricky.

I dunno. I'm done for today so I thought I'd see if anyone knew of any problems I might run into with it.

Yeah, there are 2 bolts that hold the steering column up. I think they may be 17mm and you do have to use an extension to get to them. Drop the steering column... it helps a bunch when you actually pull the dash out.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
The bar is not too hard. Where you have a fight on your hands is going to be with pulling the heater core out. Don't forget that it runs through the firewall. Getting any of those white boxes out is a pain in the ass.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Satan;1320815 said:
Yeah, there are 2 bolts that hold the steering column up. I think they may be 17mm and you do have to use an extension to get to them. Drop the steering column... it helps a bunch when you actually pull the dash out.
Yeah, those were 17mm, the rest were 12mm. At first I missed the two at the top of the bar near the steering column, but overall it wasn't too bad. It's out now. There were also a couple clusters of wires that had to be detached and then there was a spring (why?) that needed to be unhooked.

ForcedTorque;1320818 said:
The bar is not too hard. Where you have a fight on your hands is going to be with pulling the heater core out. Don't forget that it runs through the firewall. Getting any of those white boxes out is a pain in the ass.
ValgeKotkas;1320885 said:
Yes what FT said, and try not to brake the connecting plastic between the radbox and the center box (I broke mine :()
Hmm, sounds tricky. First I need to take care of the styrofoam bits that got into the fins during shipping of the new heater core...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I've starting messing with the white boxes now. From my initial glance it looks like I need to take out the middle of the three to get out the one in front of (with?) the heater core. I've taken out four bolts and three nuts that looked liked they were holding this box in. It feels a bit loose now, but doesn't feel like it will pull right out. Do I need to take out all the boxes at the same time? Is it enough to have the middle one loose in order to get out the one on the left? Am I missing something else?

Thanks again. I can see why the shop wanted to charge about $1000 for this job...

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Yes, just loosen up the middle one, then with some twisting and wiggling around, the first one comes out :)
IIRC getting it in again was a bit harder, but nothing unaccomplishable ;) (at least not when you do it for the second time :D )

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
ValgeKotkas;1321590 said:
Yes, just loosen up the middle one, then with some twisting and wiggling around, the first one comes out :)
IIRC getting it in again was a bit harder, but nothing unaccomplishable ;) (at least not when you do it for the second time :D )
Thanks, I got it out! Quite a bit of twisting and wiggling required.

supradragontoy;1321596 said:
Do you have a pic of the ECU mounted under the dash before you pulled it out? I pulled mine and can't for the life of me figure out where the mounting tabs line up.
Sorry, I didn't take a picture before I pulled them out.

So I now have the white box with the heater core out. I assume I just unbolt the pipes and then pull it straight out, is this correct?

Also, when the shop bypassed my heater core they mangled up the pipes leading to and from the heater core (see attached pictures). I thought that my replacement heater core would include these two pipes, but it's obvious now that it doesn't. I assume these should be replaced instead of wrestled back into shape. Thoughts?

Attachments

• heatercore_pipe_1.jpg
    heatercore_pipe_1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 13
  • heatercore_pipe_2.jpg
    heatercore_pipe_2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 13

supradragontoy

May 1, 2009
Central Point, OR
swaq;1321678 said:
Sorry, I didn't take a picture before I pulled them out.

That's cool, I figured it out.

Your new heater core should stick out of the box and through the firewall. Then there are two pipes off the motor that connect via rubber hoses to the heater core. I have my motor out and dash off if you need any pics of anything, just let me know. And yeah, just unbolt the nuts and bolts holding the box to the firewall and it'll slide back. I can't remember but I think there are to 10mm bolts on the engine bay side that need to be taken out, right between the pipes coming through the firewall.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
My new heater core doesn't include the full lengths of piping to go through the firewall.

I didn't have to undo anything from the engine bay to get the box out. Though my heater core had already been bypassed, so if there was something it could have been undone then.

supradragontoy

May 1, 2009
Central Point, OR
swaq;1321721 said:
My new heater core doesn't include the full lengths of piping to go through the firewall.

I didn't have to undo anything from the engine bay to get the box out. Though my heater core had already been bypassed, so if there was something it could have been undone then.

Does your heater core connect inside the box to the pipes that go through the firewall? Weird. Your sure you got the right one? See if another parts store has one and compare it.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
supradragontoy;1321738 said:
Does your heater core connect inside the box to the pipes that go through the firewall? Weird. Your sure you got the right one? See if another parts store has one and compare it.
No, it has short pipes that connect to the two longer parts. The top looks identical to my old one, so I'm pretty sure I got the right one.

supradragontoy

May 1, 2009
Central Point, OR
swaq;1321767 said:
No, it has short pipes that connect to the two longer parts. The top looks identical to my old one, so I'm pretty sure I got the right one.

Hmm. Try using a round tapered punch. There's another name for it too, but I can't remember it. It's basically a punch that tapers, derrr:aigo:. Drive that into the old pipes that run into the engine bay and it'll put them round again. Harbor Freight probably has something, considering your only gonna use it a handful of times in your life.

Last edited:

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Yes only those couple of screws hold it in.
Yes, round it out with a smaller pipe or something (we did it on one car too). After that, test whether there are smaaallll cracks or not, me thinks.
Look carefully, after putting those pipes on another core, that they don't leak inbetween the connection. :)
While you're there, look inside the box too. Mine was full of crap and shit on the walls, so I dismanteled and cleaned it.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Yeah, you want to be VERY careful about verifying that the joint where the firewall pipes meet the heater core pipes don't leak. A lot of times a heater core itself will be fine and it's those joints which are actually leaking. So speaking for myself I'd try and find some used pipe sections from someone rather than trying to round-out those damaged pipes and risking having to pull the dash again to fix bad seals on them. Those are just too beat up for my comfort level. JMHO.

While you're cleaning out your heater box you might want to replace some of the foam panels which have undoubtedly degraded into dust by now. Your box will seal better and you'll get better air-flow in the various A/C and heat modes.

supradragontoy

May 1, 2009
Central Point, OR
mirage83;1322186 said:
Yeah, you want to be VERY careful about verifying that the joint where the firewall pipes meet the heater core pipes don't leak. A lot of times a heater core itself will be fine and it's those joints which are actually leaking. So speaking for myself I'd try and find some used pipe sections from someone rather than trying to round-out those damaged pipes and risking having to pull the dash again to fix bad seals on them. Those are just too beat up for my comfort level. JMHO.

While you're cleaning out your heater box you might want to replace some of the foam panels which have undoubtedly degraded into dust by now. Your box will seal better and you'll get better air-flow in the various A/C and heat modes.

Perhaps consider going to a Grover's or Fluid Connectors to have them bend you up some new piping. They might even be able to solder the joints together for you. They can flare and bend the piping anyway you need. The foam can just be your run of the mill home insulation adhesive foam sealer. Wal-Mart carries it. I've used it before and it does seal great.