Dash Removal

xxr2hxx

Apr 17, 2008
California
hey guys,
is there a step by step guide to remove the dash? searched forever and can't find one. if you can point me to the thread i would greatly appreciate it.

if not can you tell me the steps in removing the dash.

thanks.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
xxr2hxx;1471224 said:
hey guys,
is there a step by step guide to remove the dash? searched forever and can't find one. if you can point me to the thread i would greatly appreciate it.

if not can you tell me the steps in removing the dash.

thanks.

I would start by removing the under panels of the dash. After that take off the kick panels near the doors. Center console will have to be removed, along with the center bezel with your radio is. then remove the A/c unit control. Then start getting the cluster removed and the glove box. Once all of that is removed you will begin to see the bolts that have to come out, it is not to bad, just take your time and don't break anything.

=]

xxr2hxx

Apr 17, 2008
California
thanks for the response...would i have to take out the harness wires in any way? the ones that plug into the gauge cluster and center console?

xxr2hxx

Apr 17, 2008
California
a rephrase to my question is, after i removed the gauge cluster, center console, a/c unit..the wires that go with it. does it come out with the dash?..i noticed that its all connected to the ecu. do i need to unplug all those wires from the ecu to remove the dash? or can i remove the dash leaving the wires connected.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
the wires come out with the dash. you will have to unhook them from the junction block in the driver-side footwell.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I took pictures last time I did it, and I have never taken the time to put together the article I planned to do. Once all of the parts 92 Teal mentioned are out of the way, it is pretty easy. There are plenty of bolts under there that you do not need to remove. You only need to take 6-8 bolts or nuts out to get it loose. Once they are out, you still have to sometimes break the dash loose from where it has been for years.

Here are some of the pics I took:

This is behind where the A/C controls are. The two circled holes on the right had phillips head screws in them to take out. The other two circled need to come out, and will also be seen in the next picture as well.

p1471284_1.jpg

This is the place of most concentration. You will need to drop the steering column. I generally also remove the driver's seat, but you don't have to. It does make the job a whole lot easier.

p1471284_2.jpg

p1471284_3.jpg

After that, I believe you have only the two in the bottom corners on each end of the dash. This picture shows where the passenger side bolt is. You have to pull the kick panels to get to them.

p1471284_4.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1471691 said:
Such a fun job ;)

At the Toyota plant they start with a dash on the assembly line then build the rest of the car around it!

e36's are the same way. :nono:

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Found this on my computer (orig. from Supra Central).

Dash removal 21 Steps

Procedure:

1. Remove 2 rear center console screws

2. Move driver's seat *all* the way back and raise windows

3. Disconnect neg. battery cable

4. Remove ashtray, driver's foot cover with the crotch vent, pass. foot cover,
and black part of dashboard (around radio, AC etc.)

5. Remove radio and A/C panel, remove glove compartment. Tilt Glove comp. to the
left to bring it out ( like this: / )

6. Remove Glove comp. upper cover (roof, black) top left corner comes out first

7. Remove fog light/coin box panel

8. Remove the black piece that goes above the gagues

9. Remove the gague cluster, each connector is different shape/color. Right side
comes out first (passenger side)

10. Remove the center console. There is a screw in the coinbox under the little
carpet.

11. Remove all the screws, nuts, and bolts you can see holding the dashboard to
the car. Look EVERYWHERE as it'll make life simpler

12. Remove foot skids (the plastic holding the edges of the carpet along the
door opening) Also remove the side foot panels

13. Remove the steering wheel column cover (I forgot what for, but it helps)

14. Drop the steering wheel (telescope it all the way out, unbolt from the side
impact beam from the bottom, two bolts/nuts, set it on the edge of the seat, or
the floor if it clears the seat)

15. Remove the ECU and the ABS computers (if equipped w/ ABS) they're inside the
glove compartment hole

16. Disconnect EVERYTHING from the Fuse box. The connectors are also different
shape, don't remember if they're different colors, but you can't get them
confused

17. Unclip the speedo cable from the dasboard.

18. Remove the A-pillars (I didn't do this and ended up scratching them a bit,
spacewise it comes out fine without removing them though... I don't know how to
remove the A-pillars so if you need, I can look it up too)

19. Just to make sure... again... see if there are any bolts holding the dash.
Some bolts are vertical (under the dash), and some are in plain view, others
might be behind a wiring harness move it out of the way to check. The wiring
harness comes out with the dashboard once you have disconnected it from the
fusebox.

Note: There is a little hose that leads from the interior thermostat which you
need to disconnect and make sure to reconnect if you want your auto AC to work
afterwards (the thermostat is to the left of the passenger side AC vents, behind
the little slits all the way on the left of that plastic piece) There is also (I
think) a little wiering harness that runs from the dashboard to somewhere around
the center console area. You need to unplug that, or you'll tear it out

20. Put the transmission in 4th gear, PULL!!!! BE CAREFUL, the plastic is *very*
sharp in some areas, I got a few cuts being careless.

Note 2: The dash pops out pretty easily. If any part of the dash is giving you
too much trouble, check for a bolt. When you go to pull it out, pull out the
passenger's side first and begin to tip the dashboard over so that the top of
the dashboard faces the back of the car, so you can clear the steering wheel.
Make sure you're not scratching it with the A-pillars. Depending on how you do
it, it'll seem to get stuck somewhere and not wanna go in or out easily but
don't worry, it'll come out. Pull out slowly and make sure there's no wires or
connections coming along with it. Once you have that done, you'll see the heater
core, and if anyone needs procedures for that, I can send them from the factory
repair manual. My car was an 88, but I don't think there's much difference in
it.

21. Installation is the exact reverse.

xxr2hxx

Apr 17, 2008
California
hey guys, heres an update...i finally got the dash out...the main problem i had was removing the plugs coming from the driver side kick panel...the ones that plug into the ecu?...what a b****.....thanks all for your help!

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
xxr2hxx;1472457 said:
hey guys, heres an update...i finally got the dash out...the main problem i had was removing the plugs coming from the driver side kick panel...the ones that plug into the ecu?...what a b****.....thanks all for your help!

that's just a junction block, not the ecu. once you get the dash out and see how it was put in, it is easy to take out another time.

when putting back in, you need to be careful of the pointy tabs on the dash, closest to the windshield, that line up with holes in the frame of the car. if any of these break, you will hear rattling afterwards...

just slide the dash straight in (level) when installing, until you hear the click of these tabs. I forgot to re-install the plastic vent going from the heater box to the dash vents one time, had to remove the dash again, and broke one of the clips on one of my supra's...i didn't have to live with the noise b/c i was selling it (and it was a beater) but be careful!

GL