Dash lights out!!!! :(

bbrewthru2

3 . slow for now
Aug 24, 2005
BFE Virginia
Alright here's the deal. I think this all started when i put a A/M Radio in my car. So i buy a radio and a harness from best buy.hook everything up just as i always have. Maybe two weeks, a month, i can't remember goes bye and for some strange reason my dash lights go dead. I pulled the dimmer switch and it smelt burnt so i replaced it.. Still nothing.I pull the dash and the bulbs look good im told. Also on a side note my clutch relay won't work either so i have jumped that... Can anyone help me or heard of such a thing???

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I assume the radio and the light inside the radio works.

Is it just the dash lights that are not working or is the heater control unit light, cig. tray light, glove box light, cruise control main switch light, defogger switch light and hazzard switch light not working either.

If so, disconnect the radio and see if they work. The radio light circuit may have a short drawing the power away from the other lights. Thats why the dimmer, which serves power to all these lights, is burned. If this is the case, you just need to find the wire from the dimmer to the radio and disconnect it from the radio adapter wire harness plug.

Also check to see that the license plate and exterior side marker lights are working. They all get power from the same tail fuse. If they don't work, then you need to check the 15A tail fuse.

Keep us informed.

Clutch relay? Is that the switch under the clutch pedal arm?

bbrewthru2

3 . slow for now
Aug 24, 2005
BFE Virginia
bluemax said:
I assume the radio and the light inside the radio works.

Is it just the dash lights that are not working or is the heater control unit light, cig. tray light, glove box light, cruise control main switch light, defogger switch light and hazzard switch light not working either.

If so, disconnect the radio and see if they work. The radio light circuit may have a short drawing the power away from the other lights. Thats why the dimmer, which serves power to all these lights, is burned. If this is the case, you just need to find the wire from the dimmer to the radio and disconnect it from the radio adapter wire harness plug.

Also check to see that the license plate and exterior side marker lights are working. They all get power from the same tail fuse. If they don't work, then you need to check the 15A tail fuse.

Keep us informed.

Clutch relay? Is that the switch under the clutch pedal arm?

Clutch Relay i meant ignition relay.the car wouldn't start so i had to jump that relay.
All the other lights and the heater control unit work.. One thing when i hit the switches to turn the heater/ac on it lights up but when i turn my headlights on even just the marker lights the lights in the heater go out, heater stays on just lights go out. New to the problem list my cig lighter just stopped, haven't checked yet but think it's the fuse now. Just happened since i put the dimmer switch in. Dimmer lights in radio work fine so it seems weird that it would mess with the dash lights but i'll try it.

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Check the Tail Light Relay. I had a problem with my Tail Light Relay where it would work loose and I would lose my Tail and Marker Lights as well as the Dash lights. The relay is on the drivers side kick panel.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I don't think its the 15A tail fuse or the tail light relay. Your interior lights work, just not too well.

Sounds like a ground problem. Like a ground wire connection is not good.
I don't know how to do this without cutting a wire, which I would not recommend, but if you can run a wire from chasis ground to the black-white wire going to the dash light dimmer, it might temporary solve your problem.

Oh......I know, if you follow the wire run to the next connector. It should be at the fuse box (Junction Block No. 1) behind the dirvers side side kick panel. There should be a chasis ground under the pillar some where (at least that is what I read in the TSRM, but I could be wrong). Check the ground connection. Remove the connection and make sure there is no corrosion or oxidation. Clean it. Reinstall it. If the battery posts are connected, the ground will spark a little. So if you don't want any sparks, disconnect the (+) terminal on the battery.

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
There is a circuit breaker in the fuse panel, pull the cover off the kick panel and it should be at the bottom right of the picture. I lost my gauges, windows, ignition, and other stuff because my reverse light harness kept grounding itself. Use a paper clip and reset the breaker, should fix the no light problem, then re-wire the radio, something is probably hooked up wrong in there. Hope this fixes it.
Denny