Dash Disassembly -- What'm I missing?

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Okay, so I'm trying to pull off the trim from around the stereo/climate control/shifter.

I've removed:

1 screw from left of shifter
two screws from behind ashtray

I can't find any more screws to remove. I then apply firm, steady pressure while muttering obsceneties under my breath, and the top near the cluster, and the trim aft of the shifter come up, but where it curves down from vertical to horizontal under the stereo is binding. What'm I missing here? I've searched and can't find anything on this, although I may not be searching for the right things *grins*

thanks again!

CCC

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
screw going thru that trim into the dash right by steering wheel, it holds the int panel under the steering wheel up
*trying to reverse my car from rhd to lhd* lol
if you feel under your hazard, demister switch, feel under that till you feel the panel which covers the underneath of the steering wheel... you should find a screw there

there should be 4 screws to remove to make it easy to get off
then you need to yank it off... but be careful on the angle as they commonly break the dash cluster by leaning on it too hard :)

i'll see if i can find a pic ;)

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
k perfect here we go

just imagine it backwards tho lol.. that screw will be on the right side of your steering wheel :)
center.jpg

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
actually suzie, on our cars we don't have the screw in the center section, its actually on the left side of the wheel next to the switches. We only have the hazzards switch on the right side of our steering wheels.

Clintion, try pulling up from the bottom shifter section first, and then pulling the top from the speedo cluster.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
well whichever switches you have lol but the last screw should be opposite to what i've pictured
unless of course toyota completely redesigned and wanted that part of the trim to fall off lol ;)

maybe a better explanation of lhd would help me?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I took only screws in the ashtray off and then looked, how to pull
There were like clips or smt. like that. Not very easy, though a little courage needed to pull

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
who knows:icon_bigg The dash trim doesn't shake or anything, so everythings ok:icon_razz I'll look wheater theres something missing;)

Edit: yeah, 1 screw near the ignition is missing:icon_bigg , who cares:icon_razz

Last edited:

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
2 screws in the ashtray, one by the shifter.
Unscrew the shift knob
Pull the shifter area up
Pull the right side out, start from the bottom it will unclip
Pull it towards yourself Right to left(sitting in the drivers seat) it will unclip
disconnect the hazards and cig lighter.

That should do it.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I dont know if its different for a 89+ or what but in my 86.5 I have 4 screws in my ashtray area. 2 that hold the panel to the body, and 2 that hold the ashtray slide to the body. I find it best to pull the slide with the center console as the light for the ashtray is hard wired anyways.