Dash Board Removal

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Hey all, I was wondering how to remove the dashboard. Like an idea of how many screws there are and the locations of most of them or at least the ones i cant see. I'm converting my interior black via vinyl and cloth spray paint. And it would be difficult and not very bright if i decided to paint the dash in the car lol. So please, any help would be great.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I can give ya to some general steps, but you have to take pics along the way. That way, we can use the pis in a write-up, to show the different steps and locations where the dash is fastened to everything else....

Actually... while pics may be nice, I did see the dash removal steps decently-outlined in the TRSM... Starting on page BO-50, I think. Anyways, it will be called "Safety Pad" in the TRSM, but it looks alot like a dash ;-) Good luck!

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Never paint the dash. In the car.
Dye it. Out of the car.

My advice: A long 1/4" extension... like an 18", 10mm socket, 1/4" ratchet, screwdrivers, a cordless drill(I had an 18v, so it went quick), and a drill chuck>1/4" adapter.
Whatever size the steering column bolts are... there's two under the dash. I think they're 17mm? You just remove those two bolts, and let the column sag down. I've heard that's the easier way to do it, but I didn't do it that way. My steering wheel was off, and cleared up quite a bit of room. That's why I'm not quite sure how...

Since I did this in my parts car, I had no real care for lost bolts/nuts, but I was surprised as I simply attacked them, they all found their way to my feet, so you probably won't lose any.

There's a lot of stuff to unplug, so be patient. A medium/small tip flat blade screwdriver helps out a lot, here. Most of those connectors are quite fussy, and some require prying to release as they have no tab to push.

Just take your time. I really can't stress that enough. Have an extra set of hands to guide you and point out what you may have missed.

It's basically one of those jobs where you just need to do it to find out how. It's not overly hard, actually, I was quite surprised at how quick it happened.

Tip: when you get the dash out, chances are the little foam seals where the heater box connects to the dash are rotted and gross. Peel them all up and go to Home Depot or similar store of choice. They should have several different types of adhesive foam to use and it will help cure a weak defroster if you already had one. If you didnt, you will!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
One afternoon, if you take your time.... plan on an hour to remove (use a small power screwdriver - makes it easier for all the trim screws), a couple of hours for prep, paint, and dry... and maybe 2 hours to reinstall.

Once you've done it a couple of times you can do it in alot less time (hopefully you won't have to remove it again for awhile).

Key areas to note:
1. Connections under center console (E-brake, mirror, TEMS, ABS, and seat switch connectors).

2. Connectors that connect the dash sub-harness to the main harness. There are several connections.. a couple behind the guage cluster and 1 or 2 more near the fue/junction boxes at the driver's kickpanel.

3. Ground wires attached to stereo bracket.

Oh.. and after reinstallation, you may have to go back and touch up some spots. I had to muscle my dash back in and wore off a couple of spots (wasn't completely cured/dry)... so I just layed shop towels around the spot and hit it again with the dye (avoiding alot of overspray). If you can leave out longer and give the paint/dye even more time to cure, it should be better... I was in a rush.

All else should be easy enuff.... Good luck!