Dark and Tan MK3

2jzcoupe

Jun 23, 2015
Phoenix
Last week I purchased a Very complete 1987 supra turbo 5 speed targa. This car fit everything I was looking for minus the JZ swap but after driving the car the 7m felt very good and sounded amazing because of the Turbo back HKS exhaust. There are a few things I want to do to the car that include replaceing all the weather strips on the targa and doors and rear hatch. Also adding a Wide band and have a tune done by UMS since it has 550 injectors and lafm.

First day picking it up

First fill up

After a 1 hour drive home

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Nice, looks super clean!

The 7m gets a bad wrap but if you build them right or get one in good shape and actually take care of it they are great motors and push just as much power as a JZ.

Most unfortunately have had one if not multiple owners that have beat on them and not maintained them over the years. MK4 owners or those that do a JZ swap usually keep up on maintenance a lot better and generally know what they are doing.

2jzcoupe

Jun 23, 2015
Phoenix
I can understand that with this one it was rebuilt like 8 years ago and has had maybe 20k miles put on it. They used a metal head gasket and arp head studs when it was assembled. So I have faith that it will last I'm going to upgrade the radiator just for piece of mind to a koyo R radiator.

2jzcoupe

Jun 23, 2015
Phoenix
Lastnight I spent sometime detailing my NA valve covers and started wiring my gauges defi boost and AEM wideband so I can take it and get tuned. I also got some goods in the mail so I can put the new valve covers on I got new NGK 2jz vvti wires and a JDM throttle body last piece I need is a throttle cable.

2jzcoupe

Jun 23, 2015
Phoenix
my new parking brake boot I ordered it from a Amazon dealer. I'm super happy with the quality it made from real leather no fake stuff. I'm liking the Black and Tan look I have started.

2jzcoupe

Jun 23, 2015
Phoenix
I went and picked up all the spare parts that came with the car. That include a spare engine and parts to rebuild the bottomed with forged Pistons.

2jzcoupe

Jun 23, 2015
Phoenix
Thanks guys, I am planning on rebuilding the extra motor with forged internals luckily it came with forged pistons and nice bearings so I just have to get some H-beam rods. to have a nice bottom-end built. I would like to have the head ported and polished before putting it on with metal gasket and studs.

What is a good torque for ARP head-studs I know ARP says 85 but I have heard 100lbs is a good torque.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Depends what you use as thread lube, iirc its 85lbs with the supplied molly grease or 100lbs with engine oil. ---someone correct me if thats wrong, been a while

One big reason you see different values referenced all the time.

2jzcoupe

Jun 23, 2015
Phoenix
The motor in it now was rebuilt using cast pistons and stock rods bored .20 with metal head gasket and arp head studs torqued to 85ft lbs. I want to have the car tuned it has 550cc and lex maf and a aeromotive regulator and a safc2 I just want that tuned just want to make sure it's safe not max power. Since I have a 650hp sc300 I just want this reliable.

2jzcoupe

Jun 23, 2015
Phoenix
Got all my tune up stuff together today. I'm waiting on valve cover gaskets to show up at the dealer then I can get to work on this.