Dan88T's Re-Re-Build

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Hey, I've been meaning to put together a new build thread for a long long time, I figure now that the summer is winding down and my build is basically going from semi-complete to starting over I might as well start a thread...
Here's the long-winded, rambling, and boring backstory, I bought my first Supra, an '88 Turbo automatic, back in '97 when I was 19 years old. Drove that car through college with only minimal mods, mechanical boost controller, Intrax springs & ST sway bars, gutted cats on stock exhaust, intake... beat the crap out of it for 6 years then finished college and parked it to be a "future project" and drove my 'more adult' Grand Am. [/COLOR]
In 2007 I traded a laptop for an 87 turbo targa with "solid body/engine, already primed and ready for paint!!" so that I could Frankenstein it with my old Supra into the Supra I'd always wanted. My goals were simple, a good looking targa top ~400HP cruiser.
I started devouring every book, video, website that I could find on bodywork, engine work, suspension work, basically everything, I was jumping in as a computer guy with very little automotive knowledge. (I'm lucky tho - my dad is a Toyota MDT - 30+yrs with Toyota, super useful guy :) )
Well I spent the next couple of months stripping both of the cars down and the further I progressed into the targa car the more rust I found - and as I sanded off the primer i found more and more bondo - nice and smooth and well hidden and all but still, hardly any metal in the rear of the car... disheartened I gave up and the car sat, stripped almost to it's frame, in my dad's garage for a couple of years.[/COLOR]
In late 2010 I again caught the Supra bug (not that it ever really went away) and bought an '88 Turbo M/T car that was in semi-ok shape - pretty much everything that it needed I'd already had from my 2 parts cars but it definitely needed a paint job so I would have to learn how to paint a car in a garage.
While doing a semi-rebuild getting everything straightened out mechanically last summer (Lex550 mod etc..) I totaled my daily driver and had to slap the Supra together so I'd have something to drive for the few weeks I spent looking for a daily driver. (still had the prev owner's crappy paint job and multi-colored body panels and missing 50% of the mouldings - how embarrassing!) (off-topic: I found a mint condition '99 Grand Prix GTP that I couldn't pass up for $3K and that's still my daily driver today, it's cool comparing the supercharged stuff in that car to the turbo system in the Supra but I digress) [/COLOR]
Last October I finally got around to repainting the Supra - way more work and way more hours and way more nickle & dime stuff than I ever could have imagined and after all that I had screwed it up enough that I need to repaint it again - tho this time I've learned so much (especially about why you don't use the cheapest clear coat you can buy) that I think it'll be much easier/better/cheaper/fun this time around.[/COLOR]
Oh, I almost forgot, over the winter I re-covered all of the seats with black leather, installed a new black carpet, and dyed all the rest of the interior black, so I went from a hodgepodge of maroon, grey, and blue interior to all black.Oh, another thing I almost forgot from this winter, completely rebuilt R154 and installed SPEC Stage 2 clutch...

Anyway, that brings us up to this summer. I've recently abandoned the Lexus AFM + SAFC route for a Maft Pro. I've been working on wrapping my head around that whole system and trying not to destroy anything. And - from just "slapping" stuff back together last year in a rush I've ended up with a ton of stuff to deal with, mostly every seal and gasket in the engine is leaking - now I have a feeling that this restart is necessary and will end up being way less stress than my last try - I'm way past the steep learning curve that slowed me down last time

Here's my current plan:
1.Spend the next few weeks messing with and tuning the Maft Pro knowing that if I melt the engine down I have plans to rebuild soon anyway.There really needs to be a more unified support system for this, the Maft Pro is awesome but support/knowledge is scattered and unclear and false-information abounds...
2.Pull the engine, inspect everything, - the machine-work/MHG has less than 30K miles on it so hopefully that won't need to be done again - rebuild with all new OEM or better gaskets - really sick of leaving puddles of my German Castrol all over town...
During the rebuild I'm also going to upgrade the oil cooling with remote filter setup, bigger cooler, thermostat, etc...
Also need to rebuild the wiring harness too, it's falling apart in too many places, not to mention the various hack-jobs performed over the years.
3. Repaint - and I've decided I'm no longer a fan of the blue so I'll be going with a black paint - possibly with blue pearl in it for an effect in sunlight
4. Need new shocks and springs, I have two sets of Intrax springs, both with less than 40K on them and both sets are worn out and weak/collapsed. Not a fan of Intrax springs here. Planning to go coilovers just because - I bounce back and forth between Tein and Stance depending on the last thing I read here on SM :)
5. Go bigger turbo - I'm torn between an upgraded CT26 and a fully custom setup - I'm leaning towards custom, especially since I've gotten myself a welder and I've been learning to use it, it'd be fun to be able to make my own downpipe and whatever else is needed... Have I mentioned how much I've spent on tools in the past 3 years?! I should switch careers and open a shop or somethin!
6. Figure out a reasonable cup-holder system! I love how the kids in the drive-thrus love my car, I hate how I have to find a place for my soda that won't interfere with my shifting! :)

Anyway, here's some pics, I wish I'd taken more throughout the process... hopefully posting this thread will make me feel accountable and keep me on schedule, ha!

Sanded
p1874603_1.jpg

Primed

p1874603_2.jpg

Painted (had the stock exh on temporarily, I need to get a new pic with my kickass Tanabe exhaust)

p1874603_3.jpg

p1874603_4.jpg

small portion of my reading material...
p1874603_5.jpg

Interior stripped

p1874603_6.jpg

Interior painted

p1874603_7.jpg

Re-covered the panels

p1874603_8.jpg

Interior half-done (need to take some completed-interior pics)

p1874603_9.jpg

Typical 2am on a Thursday for me:
p1874603_10.jpg

Current list of mods off the top of my head:
Big FMIC & 2.5" hard pipes
HKS SSQV BOV
3" BIC DDP & test pipe
3" Tanabe Hyper Medallion Touring Exhaust
Intrax Springs and Tokico Illumina II's (Absolutely NEED to replace these)
ST Sway Bars F & R
MAFT Pro in SD mode w/ boost control
Innovate LC-1 Wideband
Aeromotive AFPR
SPEC Stage 2 Clutch
Nashman v2 Short Shifter
HKS 2mm MHG
ARP head studs, mains, flywheel bolts
Comp Cams Chevy valve springs

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I can't be trusted with a build thread, I suck with timely updates :)

So yesterday I washed the Supra, took a few pictures... I finally got some shots of the interior (still bits and pieces missing)

I also set up the enhanced TPS stuff on the Maft Pro - it did fix the lean spot I was getting when entering boost - the Enhanced TPS functionality has really made tuning more enjoyable.

I've been to the fullthrottletech site and yes, there's a lot of info there but it's the most disorganized mess with threads that just end without solutions... My biggest issue was that the ETPS and Timing Monitor/control stuff requires searching the forums, digging through threads with contradictory information and then still pretty much making it up on the fly... Don't get me wrong, it's all fun, but when I decided on the Maft Pro I'd seen all the stuff available online and it wasn't until I was really diving in that I realized how most of the information is scattered at best.

I'm also waiting for the UPS guy to arrive (he's due tomorrow) with my new coilovers! I can't wait to be rid of the completely f'ked up shocks and springs I have on there now

Anyhoo, some of the pics I took yesterday

In front of its siblings that had to die to give my Supra life
p1877141_1.jpg

Vroom! Tanabe Touring Hyper Medallion!
p1877141_2.jpg

Nashman v2 short shifter:
p1877141_3.jpg

Freakin' Mess!
p1877141_4.jpg

Interior... still need to make the seatbelts and visors black...
p1877141_5.jpg

p1877141_6.jpg

p1877141_7.jpg

Zoom!
p1877141_8.jpg

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
It was an ebay seller, I can't remember the name but I'll look thru my old emails and see if I can find it. I believe they were in Hong Kong, the entire set was around $350ish I think.
I know everyone hates the Chinese eBay stuff but I'm very happy with this particular product - it's gotten more compliments from other people than anything else I've done on the Supra so far

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
they use dogskin instead of cow ;) lol.

looking good loving it. what kind of paint did you go with

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Huh, it never really occurred to me but you're right, it could be dog or whatever other animal they might have over there... Yeti maybe? That'd be cool, I might just start telling people that my seats are made of Himalayan Yeti hide..

The paint I went with was called UreKem, it was a cheap 2-stage urethane from seller thecoatingstore on eBay. I did a terrible job on the colorsanding after the paint job was done. I sanded through into the primer in places, and through the clear into the color in a bunch of others. I'm not experienced enough to recommend a particular paint but for the money and my first attempt at painting a car I really can't complain about the paint I used - especially for how little I paid. Learning and re-doing has been half the fun of all the bodywork...

Thanks for the compliments! I'm headed out this morning to install my new coilovers so I'll be uploading new pictures sometime this weekend!

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Well I got the Stance coilovers installed over the weekend, So far I'm pleased, I don't have much to compare it to but the coils are definitely better than the saggy Intrax springs they replaced and the 4 blown shocks. The ride is firm and, I'm not sure what words to use, but it feels 'stuck' to the ground whereas with the old setup it was super firm (felt like kidney punches on a bumpy road) it never felt very well connected to the road.
Words suck - here's some pictures...
Old setup vs new
p1879963_1.jpg

Makin a mess
p1879963_2.jpg

p1879963_3.jpg

Front installed (Tried to set it to stock height)
p1879963_4.jpg

Rear Installed
p1879963_5.jpg

Here's the problem mentioned in another thread, the front coilover's locking nut is right behind the suspension arm. The only way I could access it was to undo the suspension arm and move it out of the way.
p1879963_6.jpg

p1879963_7.jpg

Top view of shocks (Don't mind my ugly engine bay - everything is in a state of "just make sure it works" since I'll be pulling/refreshing the motor and painting the engine bay starting this weekend)
p1879963_8.jpg

Hahaha! 4x4 baby! It's been so long since I've seen a Supra sit this high!
p1879963_9.jpg

Dropped it... it's set a bit higher than it was on the Intrax springs, much easier to get in and out of :) and I haven't bottomed out yet (it was a constant struggle before w/ the old springs and 3" exhaust)
p1879963_10.jpg

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Very good update car is sitting very nice, where you live does suspension need to be certified if it is adjustable ? and if you don't mind me asking how much do the coil overs cost for all four corners ? thanks

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Thanks, I might lower the rear another inch or so, I like it when the car looks level front to back, but I'm not sure, I really like driving around not worrying about smashing my exhaust resonator on every pothole - roads in my town have turned to total crap over the past few years...

I hope I don't need to get the shocks certified because I didn't :) I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be for "off-road use only" but I think 99% of the stuff we do to our cars may technically be off-road only ;)

I got the coils from a vendor here on supramania, THMotorsports.com, they're listed on their site now for somewhere around $1200. They were a great vendor to deal with, answered PMs within minutes and I received my coilovers 3 business days after I paid for them - from half-way across the country!
----
Thanks for the compliments on this thread and PMs. I'm still on track to pull the engine this weekend, perform a complete refresh top to bottom, and get the engine bay painted black. So I should have tons of pics for this thread in the coming weeks...

Then later this winter after the engine is all sorted I'll be doing another full paint job - I've decided Supra's look best either white or black so... black it is... Then hopefully find a local car club to join by next spring so I don't have to break laws just to push the car to it's limits...