Damn it, Im about to give up...talk me out of it.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
So Im getting tired of my damn supra. I bought the car about 4 months ago with a rebuilt engine, upgrades too. Well Im getting the real history as we speak.

The guy blew out the turbo on the car, so he pulled the engine to freshen it up. He bored the block 40 over upgraded the pistons and went all out on the block.....but the fucker didnt do shit to the head. Im talking like, NOTHING. No new seals no resurfacing...nothing. Well lately Ive been haveing a tiny idle problem (shutters a little when idling) so I changed spark plugs, wires yada yada yada. Still had the idle problem. The mechanic I always go to narrowed it down to the valve seals are bad. So I have to pull the head and fix those and mt stepdad said we might as well do the whole entire engine since I have to do the seals.

Anyways I dont have money to do shit right now. And my car is now blowing water out the overflow tank. I changed the top rad hose yesterday so Im hoping it just had a bubble, but I doubt it. It didnt it bad (blowing the water out) this morning, but now it doesnt put out quite as much. Its still leading me to believe I have bhg. But I have no oil pressure loss and no over heating.

So should I stick with it and build a badass 7m, or should I just get rid of it and get another one?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys and gals.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
I think only you can answer the question of "is it worth it?" Just remember these cars are usually money pits.

Right after getting mine, I had to get the starter replaced, and within less than a year, I had to get a new turbo. Even with good maintenance stuff is going to break.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Mastapip;1446198 said:
I think only you can answer the question of "is it worth it?" Just remember these cars are usually money pits.

Right after getting mine, I had to get the starter replaced, and within less than a year, I had to get a new turbo. Even with good maintenance stuff is going to break.

I was more meaning it like, if I get this car running good and dont abuse it, will it last me years. But then again stuff does break every now and then. I knew it was going to be a money pit, lol, didnt realize it would be quite so quick of a money pit though. lol

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
any car properly built and maintained will last you years and years before it breaks

but with old cars, there's always something that goes unreplaced, and that becomes the weakest link so to speak

in a good case, it's something electronic and out of the powertrain like camber arm or steering rack

in a bad case it can be that you do the whole entire engine, fix it up good, build it right, then blow up your transmission or rear diff or break your driveshaft

list goes on and on

just saying these are old cars, and being such, EVERY PIECE of the car has miles on it, not just the engine

even if you replace the entire drivetrain (which I doubt you'll do) the interior might fall apart, the radio stops working, your power w/e breaks, etc etc

the best thing for you to do is have money, to deal with all of this shit

besides, it's pretty cheap to fix up the supra compared to many other cars, but expect 10k for a completely brand new spanking supra with everything new so you can drive it like a new car :)

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Poodles;1446203 said:
Properly built and maintained, yes it will last.

It will be properly built. Im anal about stuff like that.
Thats part of the reason why Im bummed about the car, because the guy seemed like he did the motor VERY well. But dont judge a book by its cover i guess.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Poodles;1446203 said:
Properly built and maintained, yes it will last.
This guy knows::bhg::

Also if the engine was in fact bored over and rebuilt, I can almost guarantee that the block surface was done. Unless the builder was an incompetent fool, which is very possible.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
funky_monkey58;1446210 said:

Also if the engine was in fact bored over and rebuilt, I can almost guarantee that the block surface was done. Unless the builder was an incompetent fool, which is very possible.

He was. Lol.

Im more leaning towards keeping it and building a badass reliable 7m. Money is the key here though.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
funky_monkey58;1446210 said:

Comments like this are not necessary, really. Keep it nice, you know better.

Duane

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
my guess is he went with an ebay seal kit after dumping all that money on the bottom end.

check your oil a couple times a day and look for milkshake, as long as theres no coolant down there and your oil pressure is good, id leave the bottom end alone and just get the head re-done.

im a diesel tech so maint ends up being a shit ton cheaper than most of the people i read on the forums. ive had it a little over a week and sunk about 400 into it, but thats wheel bearings, shifter bushing, filters, plugs, wires, all fluids and this and that...point being, if i were to give you some advice, invest in some tools and start learning how to do the stuff yourself. its good to have a buddy that knows what he's doing but a good forum and a service manual will get you through almost any job.

the learning experience youll get will last a lifetime, the supra, not so much. doing it yourself gives you bragging rights and the satisfaction that comes with it is just awesome, and thats without considering all the money you save

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
upgradedsupra;1446223 said:
Comments like this are not necessary, really. Keep it nice, you know better.

Duane

I see nothing demeaning in that post.

I know too well how common "rebuilt" engines are.

Remember when I posted this.
lasted me less than 50 miles "rebuilt 7mgte"
p1446236_1.jpg

I lost faith in peoples word after that when it comes to rebuilt engines.
At the very least I would pull the engine apart and plastigauge everything and check ring gaps.

Nothing wrong with bringing attention to a potential issue, if I would have taken the time to disassemble my engine completely it would have saved me several thousand dollars.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
No milkshake as of yet. And I hope it doesnt turn out that way either.

They way I veiw it is, he messed up on something, what else did he mess up on. Thats why I d redo the whole engine instead of just the top end.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
funky_monkey58;1446236 said:
I see nothing demeaning in that post.

I know too well how common "rebuilt" engines are.

Remember when I posted this.
lasted me less than 50 miles "rebuilt 7mgte"
p1446239_1.jpg

I lost faith in peoples word after that when it comes to rebuilt engines.
At the very least I would pull the engine apart and plastigauge everything and check ring gaps.

Nothing wrong with bringing attention to a potential issue, if I would have taken the time to disassemble my engine completely it would have saved me several thousand dollars.

Holy hell, thats after 50 miles?? Damn. You just convinced me to do the whole engine. Plain and simple.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
airhead04;1446239 said:
Holy hell, thats after 50 miles?? Damn. You just convinced me to do the whole engine. Plain and simple.
Correct and it was 50 easy miles never made any boost on it and I had replaced the oiling system with a brand new pump and a -8an oil feed line, hell the pump was also shimmed 10mm to prevent damage.
http://www.youtube.com/user/seansmk3supra#p/a/u/2/oIhIBEqXoFs

Was a very depressing night for me.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
airhead04;1446249 said:
Wow, Im sorry for that man. I would have been pissed.

Looks like Ill be doing a rebuild here in the next month or so. :icon_bigg
I was but I am pretty much over it now.

Taught me a valuable lesson though.