damn car dealerships

solpower

Jan 26, 2009
Albemarle, nc
so i took my supra in to have it "appraised" for trade in value well needless to say the appraiser had a lead foot and managed to blow a coolant line or 2 (which im in the process of replacing (i didnt realise this till i had already arrived back home my father was driving the car i was following in my fc and when we got home steam was billowing from under the hood) so as soon as we pull into the driveway we cut the car off imediately. Well after replacing the broken hoses today i attempted to start the car and it will not crank at all. . . it rolls over fine but doesnt even attempt to fire up. . . any ideas?

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
solpower;1347433 said:
so i took my supra in to have it "appraised" for trade in value well needless to say the appraiser had a lead foot and managed to blow a coolant line or 2 (which im in the process of replacing (i didnt realise this till i had already arrived back home my father was driving the car i was following in my fc and when we got home steam was billowing from under the hood) so as soon as we pull into the driveway we cut the car off imediately. Well after replacing the broken hoses today i attempted to start the car and it will not crank at all. . . it rolls over fine but doesnt even attempt to fire up. . . any ideas?

The first thing I would do is check your check engine light codes.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Sorry to say, but if significant damage was caused to your car by "driving hard", there were underlying issues that were not attended to. Don't blame the appraiser - hoses on a properly functioning engine shouldn't blow when driven hard.

did the car overheat?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
adampecush;1347626 said:
Sorry to say, but if significant damage was caused to your car by "driving hard", there were underlying issues that were not attended to. Don't blame the appraiser - hoses on a properly functioning engine shouldn't blow when driven hard.

did the car overheat?

solpower

Jan 26, 2009
Albemarle, nc
the blown hose was the one behind the intake piping that connects from underneath the thermostat to the engine block ( a smaller hose) it looked like it had never been replaced.

If that hose went, you can't blame the dealer for it. Had a stock '90 before my built '91. Had a coolant leak. Only found it by air pressurizing the radiator at 15 PSI. Guess what: Same hose as you stated was cracked. Never even knew it was there. Good thing I had loooong Chinese nose pliers to get the hose clamps off.

BernieK

solpower;1347894 said:
the blown hose was the one behind the intake piping that connects from underneath the thermostat to the engine block ( a smaller hose) it looked like it had never been replaced.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
A common problem I've seen with those are missing heat shields. An OEM hose with the shield in place will last a long time. I've got 60K on mine and it was still OK last I checked. I'm not gonna push it much further though...