Daily Driver FTMFW

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
toy fanatic78;1207372 said:
Where did you get the "chains"(lack a better word)for the back tires?Are they street legal?

They are street legal and I got them from Les Schwab. They had run out of studs for my stock rims by the time I went looking for them and they don't make any chains for the tire/wheel size because of the profile for the ones on the car.

We have weird weather here in Portland, it doesn't look like much, but when we get snow we almost always have an ice cover under it and it usually hovers around freezing so it stays slick.

These are "Quick Track Chains" and they work great. I work for the local transit agency in town in a supervisory capacity and it would not be good if I just told them I couldn't make it in due to the weather. So I emptied my wallet and picked up a pair, they aren't cheap but they do work well for what we get here (snow over ice).

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
I bought chains for my winter tires 2 years ago. Haven't used them but I like to have them around just in case I encounter something my winter tires can't handle. BTW I winter drive my Supra. I'm leaning towards storing it over winter as I now own an '81 Celica that goes really well in the snow.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
My subaru FTW.

p1207419_1.jpg

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Dang, snow in Portland..

Those quick tracks are cool looking. Do they work well?

When I lived in Spokane, I setup 4 studded snow tires on RAV4 steel rims for the Supra. (Worked great, they fit over the stock brakes, and they have the right offset and bolt pattern.) The rims were 100.00 from the dealer.. they had removed them to put on alloys..

The tires were from Discount tire IIRC.. Studded snow tires all around, and it made the Supra a very fun car to drive in the ice and snow. You did have to be careful, but it would pretty much go anywhere all winter long.

I ended up selling those rims and tires to spinningheadboy, and I think he got a few winters out of them here in Boise too.

Now, when it snows, I drive the A8 with my "winter" tire package on it.. (Pilot Sport A/S tires on the stock 17" rims.. And for the summer, I have 18's with Goodyear F1GSD3's on there...) Same tire I run on my Supra.. Very good in the summer, even when wet, but they are totally useless in ice and snow.. Seriously dangerous tires when they are not touching the pavement... Even on the A8, they just sqirm and slide around..

If I had to setup the Supra with snow tires now, I'd have to buy a seperate set of rims, or those low profile chains.. (And I wonder if they can be used on all four corners?

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Adjuster,

Yes, they work well for what we have here. Not sure if they would work so well for NE Washington. The difference being that the winters in Spokane I assume are dryer but with more snow, not as much ice.

The cross bars, for traction, are about 1/4 tall. I don't know if that would be enough for traction somewhere that has more than 6 inches of snow at the most.

It seems to me that these will work well in icy conditions, but I am unsure of packed snow.

Brian

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I'm in Portland at the moment (Supra is back in LA) and yes, it is snowing quite hard here lol. My dad's house is on a hill, and there's really no way we can drive up it. :[ So we are basically stuck here for a while. :\

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I love driving my mk3 in the snow. Learn to steer with my foot, I just hate hitting dry patches because my tires grab so hard it feels like the car will flip. Oh well though.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I have a blue '84 Mk2 as my DD. I'll have to get a photo of it with snow tires on the rear. They are super skinny and sunk in real far :) They are forecasting 8 inches of snow within 24 hrs here in Vancouver. Very very unusual for this time of year! Usually just lots of rain no where near freezing.

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
tekdeus;1207574 said:
I have a blue '84 Mk2 as my DD. I'll have to get a photo of it with snow tires on the rear. They are super skinny and sunk in real far :) They are forecasting 8 inches of snow within 24 hrs here in Vancouver. Very very unusual for this time of year! Usually just lots of rain no where near freezing.

Not unusual about 15 years ago :icon_bigg

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
GotTurbos?;1207355 said:
It was like 70 degrees here today.

Gargoyle;1207341 said:
Anyone else having to deal with the lovely weather?

Yeah, this weather sucks. Lots of wind and snow.

Gargoyle;1207517 said:
Adjuster,

Yes, they work well for what we have here. Not sure if they would work so well for NE Washington. The difference being that the winters in Spokane I assume are dryer but with more snow, not as much ice.

The cross bars, for traction, are about 1/4 tall. I don't know if that would be enough for traction somewhere that has more than 6 inches of snow at the most.

It seems to me that these will work well in icy conditions, but I am unsure of packed snow.

Brian

Last year it was pretty icy in Spokane.

johnathan1;1207525 said:
I'm in Portland at the moment (Supra is back in LA) and yes, it is snowing quite hard here lol. My dad's house is on a hill, and there's really no way we can drive up it. :[ So we are basically stuck here for a while. :\

I've been inside for 3days. It sucks... Its to cold to work on the supra.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Gargoyle;1207403 said:
We have weird weather here in Portland, it doesn't look like much, but when we get snow we almost always have an ice cover under it and it usually hovers around freezing so it stays slick.

If you want to talk weird weather, here in Oklahoma last year we had a tornado one day and snow on the ground the very next day. So far this winter, it has just been really, really cold, no snow or ice yet. Got the supra in the garage ready for the new fuel system while I beat around with the tacoma.