"Dad can I have the keys to the car" New Ford Key technology.

Who

Supramania Contributor
Next time your kids want the keys to your new car make sure you hand them the special key. :naughty:

Ford introduces car-limiting MyKey for worried parents

by John Neff (RSS feed) on Oct 6th 2008 at 10:30AM
Ford announced today a new technology called MyKey that will be standard on the 2010 Focus Coupe and quickly spread to the rest of the Blue Oval's lineup. MyKey can do three basic things: allow parents to limit a vehicle's top speed to 80 mph and/or the stereo's volume up to 44% of its max, and set a sustaining chime if the seatbelts aren't being used. Clearly targeted towards worry wart parents, the MyKey system is meant to keep teens safe despite their protestation that a system like this curtails their kiddy freedoms. Ford did some polling and found that 67% of teens didn't like the idea, though that number fell to 36% if the MyKey system led to parents letting the kids use the car more.

The MyKey system uses off-the-shelf technology from within Ford, particularly the SecuriLock passive anti-theft system, to identify which keys are in the ignition and therefore which driving mode to enable. It's certainly feels a lot like Big Brother, but we suppose parents have the right to play Big Bro' when the safety of their children is at stake.

Other things the MyKey system can do is permanently enable the traction control system and set chimes for when the car reaches 45, 55 or 65 mph. This technology will likely make the Ford Focus Coupe a popular choice for both parents and teens, the latter of which may be appeased by the SNYC system that's also available in these cars.

[Source: Ford]

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Im 17, and Im not to fond of the 44% stereo idea, but everything else sounds pretty damn good. Sometimes we do need those cut off points...but then again I wont know them, bc I drive a supra. :evil2:

gitplayer

Apr 29, 2009
Adelsheim
I don't know if something like that would help anything.

We had a terrible accident here in Germany a week ago. 4 young boys have been killed in a brand new Golf 4 which belonged to the father of one of the guys. He bought the car that day and gave the keys to his 19 year old son to drive around a little.
He smashed the car against a tree with far more then 60 mph. This happened in the city where the allowed speed is 30 mph. None of them had their seat belts on. One of them died immediately, 3 others died in hospital later. One survived.

Here you can see pictures of what the car looked like:

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article4554186/Vier-junge-Maenner-sterben-in-fabrikneuem-Golf-GTD.html

If someone isn't responsible enough to drive a car within speed limits, a system like that won't help a bit.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I like this idea, but not as a parent or as someone who drive's my parents cars (I don't).

I still like the idea though. If for some reason I lent my car to someone (I rarely do), knowing they can't crank my stereo, etc. would be a nice feature.

That being said, I only lend my car to people I trust, so it's not much of an issue. Still like the idea though, as you have the choice.

Jeff

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Who;1416500 said:
Ford did some polling and found that 67% of teens didn't like the idea
Which would mean 67% of parents do. Considering the parents are paying, probably a good idea.

honestabe;1416530 said:
lol, limit the stereo to 44%. That's gay.
I think its you can limit it to anywhere between 44%-100%. If your kids havea tendency to crank your factory stereo with "+12 bass" and blow your speakers you would probably like this.
Not to mention Loud stereos can be very distracting to new drivers. Their concentration should be on driving not music, considering our country's drivers ed programs are taught by the equivilent of krusty the clown. If it saves lives, sure, especially considering your can turn this option off if you dont like it.

Who;1416710 said:
Wave Runners / Jet Skis have a similar key. Your average Wave Runner can hit speeds of 60mph. The special key limits it to 45mph.
Newer skis like my fathers 04 aquatrax F12 are digitally controlled with functions like a fully adjustable speed limiter. None of which we made any attempt to figure out how to use. Of course if the kid is smart enough, he/she will put a stick in the speed sensor wheel on the ride plate so it thinks its going 0mph, and go as fast is he/she wants.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I'm 22 and I know that this would have never affected me. My parents did not limit things like this and trusted me as a kid. I also bought my own car before I had a license...so no need to borrow the parents car anyways.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Like I would have been caught dead in my parents car anyway, let alone going over 80mph with the stereo cranked in it. Hell I don't even listen to the stereo in my supra.

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
This idea is good marketing tactic for ford. I still see a few things wrong with it though. 80mph is still fast. fast enough that you can still be in a fatal wreck. not saying limit the speed to 20mph or something ridiculous, but this new system doesn't take in account all factors so it cant work to really help save there lives. I had a few buddies that died in high school after leaving a party they drove off and missed a hard right turn and were traveling around 55mphs (in a 45mph and the turn had a cautionary sign of 25mph.) and they went off the road and one was dead on direct impact and the other was ejected from the vehicle (no seat belt) and died.

So 80mph..... that would be worse especially if the kids would think its "cool" that the bell is going off. It kinda attracts then to drive to the limit. the limits seem like a goal or a standard way of driving at that age.

Who

Supramania Contributor
For a small fee I can re-program your Ford keys with added safety features beyond the standard ford features.

For all you parents out there with daughters I have listed some of our most popular options below.

1. If the vehicle is set to Park and the vehicle doors are not opened within 5 minutes the horn will sound until the vehicle is once again started and it reaches a speed of at least 12 mph.

2. Any repetitive rocking motion sensed by the autoride leveling system will sound the vehicles horn and the lights will flash. The interior dome light will be activated as well.

Any other features you would like to add just post them and I can make them happen.

88guy

use to go 280KMH :(
Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
Im 21....this idea blows:p(from a kids point of view). A buddy of mine when we was in highschool....his rents went as far as to install a GPS tracking system (with remote engine kill switch) in his OWN car when he went away on trip. Came home took his car out. was doing about 80mph and his engine cut out and his dad called him hahahaha

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I think it's a fantastic idea, and should be fitted in all cars where the driver is under age 20.

Many young people think they're invincible, and anything that helps curtail this behaviour is a good thing/step in the right direction in my book.