D.I.Y after market steering wheel install with NRG quick release..

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
So i just finished installing my steering wheel and decided to do a diy. If you think of other things i missed feel free to reply.

This was done in a 89 Supra but if done in other years the wiring part might be a bit different. You will still be able to use your horn and signal cancellation.

Tools required:
1-a 19mm socket, 3" extension, ratchet and other sockets to use on the wheel puller.
2-philips screwdriver and allen wrenches
3-Rent a steering wheel puller from Autozone. Trust me you will need it plus its a free rental.

Parts needed:
1-Steering wheel of choice. I went with a Supra TT-r / Turbo A MOMO steering wheel and horn.
2-NRG short hub part# SRk-121H
3-NRG quick release of choice. I picked the version 2.5 which has the little ears on the side, part# SRK-250
4- Honda Shoe horn part# 35259-sh3-a02( this is to make your horn work, buy it from your local honda dealer)

Here's a picture of the Honda shoe horn. This basically does is glide in back of the hub transferring the signal into the steering wheel.

Alright lets go!!

1-Align the wheels straight and say goodbye to your wheel cause its going in storage. :icon_surp

2- Remove the 3 screws in back of the wheel to remove the horn pad.( might be different in other years)

3-Pull the pad and unplug the connection. Note the blue wire is the horn signal which is activated by grounding.

4-Place a mark on the nut pointing straight up and break the nut loose.

5-Take your wheel puller and install. slowly tighten the puller until it breaks loose. Make sure the wheel is straight before removal.

6-Pull the wheel out of the way and remove the 4 phillips screws to remove the column cover.

7- Remove the 2 screws that hold clockspring. Note: Im not keeping cruise control so i removed the clockspring from the assembly.

8- Here i cut all 4 cables that go to the clockspring. I spliced the green/red stripe cable which is the horn signal and solder it to a piece of scrap cable. At the other end i crimped a spade connector for it can plug right in into the Honda shoe horn clip. The other cables left got heat shrinked. Note: other year supra have different color wires, verify which is the horn before cutting.

9- Install the Honda shoe horn to one of the screws where the clockspring was located then connect the other end of the horn cable to it. Note: the shoe horn requires a bit of bending to get a full contact with the hub.

Heres a video showing you how it comes together. Click it to play:

10- Install the NRG hub with the little dot facing up. Make sure the turn-signal cancellation clip and the shoe horn falls in to place.

Torque the center nut to 25ft-lbs.
11- Then attach the bottom part of the quick-release to the hub remembering to attach the wires. Re-install the column cover.

12- Final step is to bolt down your steering wheel to the the top of the quick release. Attach the wires from the horn button to the quick release. (forgot to take pics of this step)

Here is a video showing that everything works(except the cruise control). Click to play video:

If the wheel is not straight after installing you will have to remove the hub again and align. Might take a couple of tries but its achievable.

Last edited:

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Thanks guys
drogon;1984176 said:
Sweet! Now thats an easy way to get the horn button to work. I will have a horn on friday!
Yea i learned it when i installed a momo hub in a civic years back.