Cylinder heads.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
So i have searched and searched, and cannot for the life of me find any upgraded parts for the 1JZ heads. I was hoping to find some better springs and retainers, or the titanium sort, but i simply cannot find them any where! Nor can i fin stock replacements.

Im pretty sure the 2JZ springs and everything do not work on the 1jz, so my question is what are my options for replacing, or preferably upgrading the heads on my motor. I already plan to atleast do some basic porting and polishing myself, unless someone can point me to a good place to get it a 3 angle valve job and over sized valves. But then the question again, where do i get these over sized valves!!!?

Any help would be very appreciated. I just can seem to find anything here on SF or on google.

Thanks

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
They do? So i can get some nicer ones for the 2jz and just use them in the 1jz head? What about retainers and valves?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
from what i remember, everything in the 1jz head is the samething as in the 2jz head including springs, retainers, etc. except the cams so it should all fit if its from a 2jz

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
86_sports_1jz;925951 said:
from what i remember, everything in the 1jz head is the samething as in the 2jz head including springs, retainers, etc. except the cams so it should all fit if its from a 2jz
Really? I thought i remember reading a post somewhere, that i cant seem to find again, that the valves were a different diameter, and the stems were too long.

So i could buy some fancy titanium springs and retainers, and even some valves and they would just drop right in with no hitch?

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Holset;926253 said:
Valve size is different between 1j and 2j heads..

Thanks, thats what i thought i read some where...

Im getting some conflicting info. I need to know this info soon so i can buy what i need before i start the rebuild of my motor...

jblaze

"Always the underdog"
Apr 14, 2006
Baltimore, Md
I just realized something... If the head components are the same and the 2j has bigger (and probably heavier) valves, wouldn't that put more of a strain on springs? I know those 2j guys push their stock heads pretty far so the 1j should go atleast as far, if not FARTHER! So if you wanted to push your stock head a little, I am quite sure it would be fine.

MetaL

Feb 15, 2007
Miami, FL
I've tried using 2jz 1mm oversize valves on a 1jz head, they were not a drop in mod for sure. The valve stem lengths were different. As far as 1jz head after market products, I am running titanium springs and retainers from Crower. It was Zazzn that orginazed a group buy for them. As far as valves your stock 1jz valves will be fine for whatever power goals you'll be looking at.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
MetaL;927231 said:
I've tried using 2jz 1mm oversize valves on a 1jz head, they were not a drop in mod for sure. The valve stem lengths were different. As far as 1jz head after market products, I am running titanium springs and retainers from Crower. It was Zazzn that orginazed a group buy for them. As far as valves your stock 1jz valves will be fine for whatever power goals you'll be looking at.

Good to know. So i guess ill just be leaving the stock valves in, but i plan to buy this spring/retainer kit.. Will this one work? Is it the same one you have?

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pri...ian_Crower/Engine/Valve_Springs_and_Retainers

Last edited:

MetaL

Feb 15, 2007
Miami, FL
Sorry just realized what I typed, the cams were Crower, the springs and retainers were Brian Crower. Sorry if that confused you. That looks like the same one in the group buy, the 2jz ones.

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
I have aftermarket 2j springs and retainers in my 1jz head

2jz parts that fit 1jz's..
springs
retainers
coil packs
head studs
head gasket
tensioner
pulleys
pistons
oil pump
water pump
oil pan
oil pickup and strainer
flywheel (but cant use r154 tranny if u do)

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Awesome. I now feel confident enough to buy the crower springs and retainers...

Just wondering though, how hard would it be for my machine shop to make the 2jz valves work on the 1jz head?