Cylinder head pitting on cooling channels (exhaust side)

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
Hey all, bought another turbo ma70, engine does over 250kms/150k miles+ and found the head to be leaking after doing a TEE-KAY test on it. (Dammit!!!! >.<)
After pulling the head off, the coolant channels on the head gasket didn't seem as bad as i thought.. white stains on cylinder 2,4 and 5, hopefully they're not galvanic corrosion's otherwise more money... :cry:. Didn't get the chance to have a look at cylinder 1 and 5 as it's left on 0 TDC.

After cleaning the head, the worst of the pittings were on cylinder 4 and 5.

Cylinder no 5.

Cylinder 5 and 6

Cylinder 4

(just a side note I'm just using this gasket for comparison purposes, I didn't want to take genuine toyota gasket out of its packaging)

I'm a bit bummed because the head doesn't have that much warpage, are these be repairable? I may send it away to get it done as I'm not really savy with tig welding aluminium...

In addition to that when we got the car, it was filled with 'green coolant' so I suppose this is the result of the head being eaten away by not using the correct coolant perhaps?

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Heads can be welded. My mate got his E30 cylinder head welded and his was more far gone than yours. Green coolant can still be of spec as long as its type A and not type B.

Could also be attributed to stray current.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
And distilled water. Tap water is impurities that will corrode.

Also don't weld the head. 7m heads have a trend of getting soft. Find a good used head. 7mge heads are good cause they never saw boost. Same head as well. Just swap over the cams and re shim.