Cut springs?

Blksupra1jzed

Nov 1, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Alright I have a second set of stockers sitting around and got curious. Anyone cut the stock springs? What did it do to ride, height, etc...I am getting eibachs in a month or so and felt like playing around. Just wanted to make sure it could be worth the time and whatnot of doing this.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
when i first got mine i lowered it by cutting the springs and it dropped about 2-3 in. and it handled well the ride was a little rough but it didnt bounce,but it did wear out tires real bad so i put back on a set of stock springs.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
It's easy. Spring rate (lb/in) is inversely proportional to the number of active coils. I don't know right off how many coils the stock spring have, or what the rate is, but here's an example.

example spring rate of 250lb/in with 10 coils
cut off one coil, you get a spring rate of 250 x 10 / 9 = 278 lb/in

Somewhere around here is the stock spring rates, and you can easily count the number of coils by climbing under the car with it on the ground.

Of course, the stock shocks are insufficient even for the stock springs, so stiffer springs will make that floating even worse.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with cutting springs if you do it right. Feel free to play around. You may learn something from it.

Asterix

Blksupra1jzed

Nov 1, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Alright so it sounds like it could be risky to do but if I cut the right part it's not bad. For those who have done it and gotten decent results, where did you cut and how much off?

JNasty

i drive fast cars (supra)
Jun 25, 2005
Jacksonville fl
Blksupra1jzed said:
Alright so it sounds like it could be risky to do but if I cut the right part it's not bad. For those who have done it and gotten decent results, where did you cut and how much off?
i did it on my last supra. i cut off two loops, or coils whatever you want to call them. went from 9 loops to 7 loops.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i wouldnt risk cutting springs. it'll mess with the handling of the car, and make it even worse, if you ask me. it's just unsafe, period. if you want to lower your car, do it properly. imagine you hit a panic situation where you NEED the car to react how it's supposed to, to steering input, but it doesnt. kiss it, and your ass goodbye. :( harsh? i dont mean to be, but it's the truth. do it right the first time!

-shaeff

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
well with my experience on cutting the springs on the stock struts it sucked but the person who did it didnt do it very well i guess but it killed my shocks.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
dont risk it! Is it really worth the;

a) hassle?
b) Risk?
c) the look?

I dont even think it would look good with cut springs. Read shaeffs post again!

just my .02 centzz

JNasty

i drive fast cars (supra)
Jun 25, 2005
Jacksonville fl
s383mmber1 said:
dont risk it! Is it really worth the;

a) hassle?
b) Risk?
c) the look?

I dont even think it would look good with cut springs. Read shaeffs post again!

just my .02 centzz

no no it looks good dont get me wrong, but everything else