Cut out 89+ bumper

sixtyten6010

Dec 20, 2011
Metropolis IL
I'm about to acquire one of those new style driftmotion intercoolers and I want to install it and cut out the grid in the front bumper. I think I've seen one picture of someones car where they did that, pretty sure it wasn't a body kit too. Would this look good? I plan to try my hand at filling in the small holes it will make when I cut them out as well. And I've got a buddy thats decent with body stuff who said hes pretty sure he could do it if I can't make it work.

But anyone got any pictures or know of anyone on here who has done this?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its easy to cut out. Though with no support there it will start to sag in the middle.

better to get the s2 air guide that shine sells.

sixtyten6010

Dec 20, 2011
Metropolis IL
hvyman;1895429 said:
Its easy to cut out. Though with no support there it will start to sag in the middle.

Ohhh yeah I forgot I thought about leaving the 2 vertical struts towards the middle and seeing if that will hold. Maybe try to fill the back of the "struts" in to help support it.

got a link to that s2 air guide on shines site I can't seem to find it.

Or would adding a lip make it not sag? Cause I want one of those shine lips eventually.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's on here somewhere but you can pm Rodel as well. Iirc there 125 for frp and 200 for cf.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I would not cut the bumper or remove the bumper support. The minor (if any) power gains is not worth having a hacked up, sagging bumper not to mention the safety issue of not having a bumper support

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
the S2 guide will prevent it from sagging when installed properly, and then the lip will also be reinforced when you get around to installing it.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Get one of those tension tie rod type deals they use for front splitters, put one in the center of the grill, because racecar

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

sixtyten6010

Dec 20, 2011
Metropolis IL
BoostMonger;1895498 said:
Get one of those tension tie rod type deals they use for front splitters, put one in the center of the grill, because racecar

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Hah thats what I was thinking of as well some nuts and washers and some rods of some sort.

SC61 MK3;1895481 said:
I would not cut the bumper or remove the bumper support. The minor (if any) power gains is not worth having a hacked up, sagging bumper not to mention the safety issue of not having a bumper support

Safety issue?? I don't see how that little grid of plastic supports anything other than the bottom plastic part "lip" of the bumper? And not really looking for power gains from cutting out the grid. Just cause it looks better.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
He thought you were going to cut the actual crash bar. Or completely remove it.

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...