custom springs?

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hey i was looking into getting some custom springs for my mk3
i was wondering if anyone had gone this route and if they did what results they came up with

im hoping to end up with about a two inch drop all around and for the car to ride and handle better than stock
i was told that i can get some custom bilsteins wound but id need to know
how much of a drop these cars can take and still have the control arms be paralell to the ground
i was also told to find out how much the front and rear of the car weigh independently so i can make sure that the setup will hold

just looking for more info if at all possible

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
honestly all suspension is designed for different purposes, what exactly are you looking for? street, drag, autocross etc??

if just street use, i would just get bilstein shocks and H+R springs

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
RockPaperSwoRD;1228581 said:
honestly all suspension is designed for different purposes, what exactly are you looking for? street, drag, autocross etc??

if just street use, i would just get bilstein shocks and H+R springs

im looking for somthing that will be smooth on the street but still put up with the abuse of drifting
im trying to find some happy middleground and still get a nice drop as well

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
upgradedsupra;1229872 said:
coilovers ;)

from what i've found on here it seems really hard to find a set thats not gonna rattle my brains out if i hit a bump
i dont mind a nice stiff ride but im not tryin to have ppl complain too much when they have to ride with me either lol

but since you say coilovers what brand do you recomend for the above stated purpose?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I don't think custom springs is the way to go. There's just no point really. OE fitment dampers are limiting. You can do some stuff with them and adding sleeves to some of the better ones so you can use a good 2.5" ID coil spring is also an option. But they still aren't the best option.

Something that doesn't ride like crap, but is stiff and works well for drifting is 100% possible. You will need stiff springs for drifting, I would suggest anything less than 1000lb/in fronts and 600lb/in rears depending on weight. On a heavier car, I would suggest higher rates. And just pair them with a good damper and you'll have a pretty awesome suspension.

Stance usually seems to make an ok, entry level coilover, at least for other cars, but for the supra, the spring rates are just way off. 14/12 is way too soft in the front. The megans are actually closer to a good spring setup for the car, but the damper in them is probably a lot worse than what's in the stance. I think most of the Tein setups are too soft and I've never been impressed with Tein dampers.

But really depends on how much you want to spend. If you wanted to get custom springs and were actually ready to pay for it, then you can afford a good setup. If not, then good luck.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
taka21;1231080 said:
from what i've found on here it seems really hard to find a set thats not gonna rattle my brains out if i hit a bump
i dont mind a nice stiff ride but im not tryin to have ppl complain too much when they have to ride with me either lol

but since you say coilovers what brand do you recomend for the above stated purpose?

I think the Teins are the best ride for what I have experienced.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Wiisass;1232039 said:
I don't think custom springs is the way to go. There's just no point really. OE fitment dampers are limiting. You can do some stuff with them and adding sleeves to some of the better ones so you can use a good 2.5" ID coil spring is also an option. But they still aren't the best option.

Something that doesn't ride like crap, but is stiff and works well for drifting is 100% possible. You will need stiff springs for drifting, I would suggest anything less than 1000lb/in fronts and 600lb/in rears depending on weight. On a heavier car, I would suggest higher rates. And just pair them with a good damper and you'll have a pretty awesome suspension.

Stance usually seems to make an ok, entry level coilover, at least for other cars, but for the supra, the spring rates are just way off. 14/12 is way too soft in the front. The megans are actually closer to a good spring setup for the car, but the damper in them is probably a lot worse than what's in the stance. I think most of the Tein setups are too soft and I've never been impressed with Tein dampers.

But really depends on how much you want to spend. If you wanted to get custom springs and were actually ready to pay for it, then you can afford a good setup. If not, then good luck.

Sorry to bump this old thread but what spring rates would you recommend for Stance Coilovers as they let you choose your spring rates? My car is a street/show car but I want it to handle good and kinda stiff. If I didn't go with Stance I'd probably get Bilsteins and some springs. Can you put Hypercoils on regular Bilsteins? If so, why don't most people do this if you can select your spring rates?

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Alec;1423718 said:
If I didn't go with Stance I'd probably get Bilsteins and some springs. Can you put Hypercoils on regular Bilsteins? If so, why don't most people do this if you can select your spring rates?

For ~$1000 that is the best way to go. 935motorsports sells a package, but basically bilsteins, threaded collars/perches, and hypercoils. Ideally you'd send your bilsteins in to be revalved specifically for your desired spring rates.

There's a lot more info on this setup in the road racing section at supraforums (Gixxer_Drew suspension thread).

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
ma71supraturbo;1423772 said:
For ~$1000 that is the best way to go. 935motorsports sells a package, but basically bilsteins, threaded collars/perches, and hypercoils. Ideally you'd send your bilsteins in to be revalved specifically for your desired spring rates.

There's a lot more info on this setup in the road racing section at supraforums (Gixxer_Drew suspension thread).

Do you need spring sleeves to put Hypercoils on Bilsteins? How low does that setup go? Like I said, the car is also a show car so I want it to be able to go pretty low.

Driftmk3

May 23, 2009
Chicago IL
Alec;1423774 said:
Do you need spring sleeves to put Hypercoils on Bilsteins? How low does that setup go? Like I said, the car is also a show car so I want it to be able to go pretty low.

Yes. Not very low, if your after look thats not the set up for you.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Driftmk3;1423869 said:
Yes. Not very low, if your after look thats not the set up for you.

What about Bilsteins with H&R or RSR race? Or would I just be better off saving for coilovers. The reason I ask is because a friend of mine is selling Bilsteins with springs(i think Eibach) for $325.

Driftmk3

May 23, 2009
Chicago IL
From what I understand the Bilstein set up will go pretty much as low as you want with the sleeves. But at the height you want the shock travel will be mostly used up, the ride will be harsh, and the springs wont be properly dampened.

SpecialK

Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
Alec;1423881 said:
What about Bilsteins with H&R or RSR race? Or would I just be better off saving for coilovers. The reason I ask is because a friend of mine is selling Bilsteins with springs(i think Eibach) for $325.

if you want low RSR race are probably not for you. they are about as low as the eibach. and good luck finding a set!